Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
out-fitting new bow >

out-fitting new bow

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

out-fitting new bow

Old 10-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default out-fitting new bow

talk to me about drop away rest, i like the drop zone line-up but i have also been looking at the "limb driven" drop aways like vapor trail, limb driver, etc...

what do you guys know about them????
Old 10-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

I have done a whole host of drop aways over the years, Trophy Taker, NAP Quick Tune, Rip Cord, Vital Bow Gear, etc...

What I have found is that the Vapor Trail Limb Driver is by far the easiest rest to get set up and keep in time.

I set one up on my hunting rig going on 3 years ago and have not had the need to touch the timing on the rest since then. I will probably have to replace the string and cables before the I have to touch the rest.

From an accuracy standpoint it really can't be beat. It is the best of both worlds with respect to accuracy and functionality.
Look at the competition target shooters. The majority of them shoot a blade type rest, why? The reason is it provides support for the arrow over nearly the entire power stroke. The drawback with a blade launcher is fletching clearance if you are shooting skinny carbons or have helical fletchings (like most hunters do).
The drop away allows for maximum fletching clearance but without the full arrow support as most rests are designed to drop away within the first 2 to 3 inches of arrow travel.

The limb driver stays up during nearly the entire power stroke, providing support for the arrow and is positively pulled down just in front of the fletching to provide clearance.

The LD is one of the few archery products that I am very passionate about because I think that it is technically superior to any of the other drop away designs out there.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know about the drop awys you mentioned but I have the QAD HD Ultr Pro Drop Away rest on both of my bows and have never had an issue with them. What I like about it is that once the arrow is up after drawing you can draw down and the arrow stays up in the shooting postion. Another good feature is it is a complete arrow containment which nice.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

you guys still shootin bullet holes? and if so, how long did it take you to get set up?
Old 10-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanks guys, thats the kind of feed-back i was looking for, i am familiar with the drop zone but I'm really interested in the limb driven accutiated rest, i like a drop zone and several others, but i have always liked less items on my string and cable, i am leaning towards the vapor trail, but there are so many good products out there now it gets a little confusing

i have looked at most of the rest ya'll have mentioned, and all are very nice, i also like the octane rest, but i have used a drop zone and reallly liked it, just wondering about cable accuated verses limb accuated..

BTW, we have a high speed camera at work we use for de-bugging high speed equipment, and my manager hunts, i'm thinking of convincing him how much "we" need to investigate whats going on in super slow motion, that i could take the filming equipment home one W/E and see what goes on. seen ome super-slow arrow flight, very interesting..

again thanks for the input

Keith
Old 10-23-2009, 02:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
you guys still shootin bullet holes? and if so, how long did it take you to get set up?
Well. I didn't set mine up my bow shop did and it took all of 15 minutes to install and tune and bullet holes were flying and still are.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

Redlines comments X2
Old 10-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe the LD is one of the best on the market but I use a Whammy and it is an absolute dream to setup and tune.It gives all the advantages of the LD plus some.

I have been setting up a few QADs lately and I really like them as well.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

well went with the vapor trail limb driver, shot thru paper bare shafts and everything is looking great, didn't get to fool with it as much as i would have liked, i had to hunt a little and farm chores kept me busy during mid-day, but what little exposure i had i think i'm gonna be happy, was shooting bullet holes W/I a few minutes, will be trying to finish up this week, will post picks soon,,

thanks for the input, i was kind of torn between the drop zone, the limb driver, and also like the QAD
Old 10-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Spike

Love my QAD LD. Quiet and reliable.