HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   cables touching string on cam (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/307282-cables-touching-string-cam.html)

m9a9g9i9c 10-19-2009 11:26 AM

cables touching string on cam

I just installed my new vaportrail string on my 82nd airborne.

It's a 60# bow but when we hooked it on the scale it gave only 55#
My tech twisted the string about 5 turns to get 55# and the limbs are maxed out.
he told me to twist the cables to get mor poundage but that makes the string touch the cables where they are attached on the cams.
Is this a problem ? I took a brigadier out of the rack at the shop and the cables are touching the string as well at that point ?

Any other suggestions because I bought the new string to get more juice.

F.

bigcountry 10-19-2009 01:32 PM

Here is what I suggest. You want to make your strings the standard. In other words. You got a string length spec. Using 1/4" pegs, stretch and make your string that length. Do the same with your cables. After that, measure ATA. If your not hitting poundage twist you cables.

I too have problems with cable rubbing my cams on my guardian. Its due to excessive cam lean. I have sent it back once and they replaced my limbs. Still didn't fix it. Started rubbing on the other cam. But point I am getting at is I wouldn't be tempted to fix the issue by cable/string twists.

brucelanthier 10-19-2009 04:20 PM

I would make sure the scale is accurate before I did any more adjusting. An inaccurate scale would be my first suspect if two bows showed the same lack of draw weight problem.

I too have problems with cable rubbing my cams on my guardian. Its due to excessive cam lean. I have sent it back once and they replaced my limbs. Still didn't fix it.
I had that problem on an 07 Allegiance. I replaced the cams and fixed it. I took the strings and cables off of the bow and mounted my laser on the bow. I aimed it at the cam and rotated it and could see the problem was with the cam and, of course, it was even worse when stressed by the cables and string. You may want to look at replacing the cams.

SwampCollie 10-19-2009 05:01 PM

It usually ends up being the limbs and limb pockets that get replaced before the cam lean problem is really fixed.

Remember too with draw weight that if you are using a vertical draw scale (such as a spring scale) you need to take the weight of the bow into account as well. So you may well only be making 50#s.

bigcountry 10-19-2009 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by brucelanthier (Post 3477897)
I would make sure the scale is accurate before I did any more adjusting. An inaccurate scale would be my first suspect if two bows showed the same lack of draw weight problem.

I had that problem on an 07 Allegiance. I replaced the cams and fixed it. I took the strings and cables off of the bow and mounted my laser on the bow. I aimed it at the cam and rotated it and could see the problem was with the cam and, of course, it was even worse when stressed by the cables and string. You may want to look at replacing the cams.

Thanks. I am kinda at the mercy of bowtech for warranty. Think I am switching to hoyt next time around.

m9a9g9i9c 10-20-2009 11:58 AM

cam lean

I checked my cams and they don't lean eitherway.
The string is touching the cables where they are hooked on the cams.
And I can see my string being pushed outwards by the stringstopper in the middle. I replaced the factory V model with a flat one from bowjax. It's as far inwards as it can go, so I really need to make the limbs bent some more so the string stops touching the cables and the stopper.
I'm going back tomorrow to the shop to get my cables twisted up, hopefully this helps.
I don't want to change cams or limbs, I'd be better off buying a new bow then......

F.