Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Loose Site

Old 10-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default Loose Site

I just noticed that my sight is a little loose (not bad but not completely tight). Unfortunately, it looks like it is not a problem with the screws that attach it to the riser but it looks like the threads in the riser are worn. Any suggestions on how to get this tightened up without having to have the holes redone (I really don't need to detach the site from the riser so a permanent solution would not be out of the question)?
Old 10-13-2009, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

I recently purchased a nice Black Gold site and that sucker kept coming loose in about 3 different locations. I took it into the pro shop and they coated the screws in regular old string wax and then retightened it. Since then, no problems at all. Probably shot 500 plus arrows and it's still tight. If that does not work, you could always try some Lock-Tight.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 on the Loc-Tite.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:12 AM
bigcountry

I myself would do it properly. Any gunsmith can tap those holes for 10 dollars. Or if you have a friend with a tap and helix kit. And you will have to use slightly oversized screws. Or use a helix. Loctite blue and red are not glue per sa. But might work, but I sure wouldn't want that to be a problem you find out about 7AM with a nice deer below.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with bigcountry. You are prob better off to do it right, so there is no doubt in your mind that anything could be wrong.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

You could use the blue loctite , but I sure wouldnt use the red.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I myself would do it properly. Any gunsmith can tap those holes for 10 dollars. Or if you have a friend with a tap and helix kit. And you will have to use slightly oversized screws. Or use a helix. Loctite blue and red are not glue per sa. But might work, but I sure wouldn't want that to be a problem you find out about 7AM with a nice deer below.

That is right, you are going to wear out the threads with every shot if you don't get it fixed now.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

I would definately go with a helicoil as opposed to drilling and tapping to a larger size.

A helicoil is relatively easy to put in as long as you are relatively compitent with tools. If you are worried, go to a gunsmith.

If the threads are already buggered up then every shot will further damage the threads and possibly get you to the point where the only option is to go to a larger bolt size.