Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow Speed

Old 10-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

Forum battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

This thread kind of morphed into a speed vs forgiving bow argument. I think the old argument that supports buying a “forgiving bow” has lost much of the advantages and talking points that it once had. Today’s “speed bows” that boast an IBO ratings of 320fps plus are not like they used to be. I remember test shooting speed bows like the Bowtech Black Knight in the early 2000’s and they were a real tough pull, they were tough to hold back and when you shot, it felt like you’d been kicked by a mule. Now, with speed bows from companies like Elite, Mathews, PSE, etc. it does not in my opinion pay to buy a forgiving bow anymore--they generally have a long brace height, usually have a low energy cam that offers an easy draw cycle and are quiet and shock free, but today’s speed bows are also recoil free and quiet. I would argue that anyone can manage a brace height in the range of 6.5” to 7” (which seems ideal to me) any longer means you’re leaving valuable power stoke energy on the table. Buy a speed bow and if you want to slow your arrow down or have a more forgiving bow, reduce draw weight on that speed bow or use a heavier arrow. If you think about the difference of a forgiving bow with an IBO rating of 280fps compared to a speed bow with an IBO rating of 320fps you’re looking at a draw weight difference of approximately 20LBS of pull. That means if you shoot a 70LB forgiving bow, you will get the approximate same speed on the same arrow at 50LBS of pull. I don’t usually hear this side of the argument when I hear this debate but the numbers don’t lie.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Ok did some research and talked to 2 different archery shopowners.1 is a Hoyt dealer and the other is a Mathews dealer.They both said about the same thing.You will about this much feet per second.

Peep 3 fps

single nock set 1 1/2 to 2 fps

double nock set 3 to 5 fps depending on size

string loop 3 or 4 fps

string silencers 6 to 10 fps depending on what they are.

These are average on what you are going to lose with most bow on th market today they told me.Hope this helps out a little.I tried to find a chart that showed what you would lose but no luck sorry dwallac

Last edited by nys-buckstalker; 10-27-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigbulls
STRING ACCESSORY SPEED LOSS
Brass Nock 2 - 4 fps
Peep Sight 3 - 6 fps
String Silencers 2 - 6 fps
E-Buttons 2 fps each
Rubber Peep Tube 6 - 10 fps
String Loop 1 - 3 fps (without brass nocks)
VibraBlocks 0 - 2 fps
Sorry Im new to the X bows got my 1st yesterday
and trying to learn all I can about them.
the post above refers to speed .some of the things stated I dont even know what they are !!! But for the life of me I cant figger
out how a Peep sight can effect the speed of an arrow ??
Like I said First post and New to X-Bows .
Thanks
Old 10-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by gopher0
Sorry Im new to the X bows got my 1st yesterday
and trying to learn all I can about them.
the post above refers to speed .some of the things stated I dont even know what they are !!! But for the life of me I cant figger
out how a Peep sight can effect the speed of an arrow ??
Like I said First post and New to X-Bows .
Thanks
This isn't referring to cross bows. This is referring to compound bows.

But to answer your question, just about anything you put on your string, slows it down. The slower the string, the slower the arrow.

I don't know anything about cross bows so I'm not sure what you think of when you hear "peep sight", but on a compound bow, the peep sight is tied right into the bow string.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by StraightArrowNY

But to answer your question, just about anything you put on your string, slows it down. The slower the string, the slower the arrow.

I don't know anything about cross bows so I'm not sure what you think of when you hear "peep sight", but on a compound bow, the peep sight is tied right into the bow string.
we already know you don't know anything...
Old 10-30-2009, 01:16 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by StraightArrowNY

My fault ..I misunderstood
But thanks for the answer
Old 10-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bradseabridge
we already know you don't know anything...
Of course... My mistake.