Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow Speed

Old 10-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by StraightArrowNY
Not true. Sound travels at about 1,100 feet per second. If your bow shoots 300 fps, the sound your bow makes gets to the deer almost 4 times faster than the arrow. How important is that 3 or 4 fps saved by getting rid of your peep now? Not very....

The louder the noise, the more likely the deer will react to it.
This is true if you are shooting at a deer 300 feet away. If your target is say thirty yards away which is 90 feet, so this is true the deer would hear the sound about 3.5 times faster than your arrow got there, but this gives the deer .3 seconds to react to the sound before the arrow strikes him...also figuring in that by the time your bow snaps the arrow is already gone. so your shot is still deadly.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

What was the question anywaz?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kldad06
unless you are a speed nut and just want it to shoot fast, speed should come 3rd behind accuracy and recoil (for lack of a better word). I love a bow that shoots lightning speeds, but for hunting purposes it is way over-rated. But if you find it I would be curious as to how much each thing does slow it down.
I have to agree with the op on your ignorance... If you know so much, than why in the hell would you say that recoil is the second most important thing that a bow has under accuracy??? You must be one of those guys

How many times has hand shock affected your shot??? Ill answer that for you... Unless you are anticipating the shot and jumping like you are shooting a shotgun, handshock has never affected one of your shots. You dont feel a darn thing until that arrow is long gone lol. I bet you have never shot a real target rig have you??? The most accurate rigs in the world have some major vibration and recoil but guess what... they slam the x's all day long.

You just keep shooting your bows with zero hand shock, while the op gets his question answered...

To the OP:

Usually a typical peep and loop with make you lose 5fps max... I personally dont worry about it, but if you are wanting to squeeze every bit out, the G5 peeps are suppossed to be a bit lighter than a normal peep. Make your loops short and use thinner material as well, but likely you will only gain 1-2 fps maybe 3 at the most.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Carl77
This is true if you are shooting at a deer 300 feet away. If your target is say thirty yards away which is 90 feet, so this is true the deer would hear the sound about 3.5 times faster than your arrow got there, but this gives the deer .3 seconds to react to the sound before the arrow strikes him...also figuring in that by the time your bow snaps the arrow is already gone. so your shot is still deadly.
I'm not saying the shot's not deadly. I'm simply saying that there isn't a bow on the market that is so fast that a deer can't jump the string under the right circumstances.

For the record...... .3 seconds is a very long time for a deer to react to a noise in the woods. .3 seconds is enough time for me to react to a noise in the woods! More to my point, shave 10 fps off that and do your calculations again and see how little difference it makes.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

A deer at a mere 15 - 20 yards away can react fast enough to the sound of a bow to completely drop far enough so that your arrow flies harmlessly over their back, regardless if you are shooting 200 fps or 300 fps.

There isn't a bow made that is faster than a deers reaction time.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Spike

I would like to thank all the guys who answered my question. And I have to agree with halfbakedi420. The point of my rebuttle to kldad was just to point out that this forum is to help people and answer questions. My question I thought was simple. All i wanted to know was how string accessories affect speed. I did not ask which is more important and I thought kldad was arrogant to jump in and say not to worry about it. and then everybody who joined in and agreed. I understand that everyone was trying to help and I thank everybody who is on my side. but still I was not trying to start a fight with anyone on here.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:43 AM
Spike

yeah im sure a city boy from NY would know this much about bow hunting. you must be one of them rich boys who hunts farmed tame deer. Yeah so everyone should listen to you. Damn i mean what do i know? Im some redneck from central illinois...oh and dwallace, sorry but straightarrow don't know **** and i apologize for contaminating your post...maybe get some humor out of this
Old 10-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

All I am saying is that speed is not that important. If a bow shoots 300 fps then it takes 0.2 seconds and a bow that shoots 250 fps takes 0.24 seconds to travel 20 yds. There is not enough difference in speed to justify sound. And by the way a bow that has a lot of recoil is not enjoyable to shoot which is what you should be looking for out of a hunting bow. Something that you can shoot everyday and enjoy shooting it. I mean seriously how many guys do you know of that shoot 30-06 as target guns. It isn't fun. I was just trying to help a newby to realize that speed is not everything. Sorry for pointing that out.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Carl77
yeah im sure a city boy from NY would know this much about bow hunting. you must be one of them rich boys who hunts farmed tame deer. Yeah so everyone should listen to you. Damn i mean what do i know? Im some redneck from central illinois...oh and dwallace, sorry but straightarrow don't know **** and i apologize for contaminating your post...maybe get some humor out of this
Wow! A little defensive are we, Carl? You're obviously a simpleton so let me start with a little geography lesson, clearly you could use one. You can start by taking out a map of the United States. I'm from Upstate New York. You Know... That very large section of New York State directly north of Pennsylvania and directly west of Vermont? The part that is not New York City. The part that is responsible for more Dairy and Apples than just about every other state in the country. Do you know that part? Did you find it on the map yet? Did you even figure out how to unfold the map yet?

I currently live in a town with a population of less than 1,000 people. I do hunt on a farm, but that farm happens to raise cows, not deer.

I grew up in a town with a population of less than 5,000 people. On one side of my house was a dairy farm and across the street was a horse farm.

You're willingness to make so many ridiculous and ignorant assumptions about me based on the state that I live in leads me to ask you the same question you asked of yourself..... What do you know, Carl77?

dwallac3, I suppose we did hijack your post and I apologize. But I'm glad you got your answer.

Last edited by StraightArrowNY; 10-23-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

I freakin love upstate! Its gorgeous up there. Hell, NY has so much open space.
That said, Bigbulls is 100% right, there isnt a bow on the planet that is fast enough to negate the dropping of a deer. They do it quick! Best bet would be to make it as quiet as possible, then fast.
And yes Drock, i think that had shock is important, although not nearly as much as people make it out to be. No one wants to practice with something that is unpleasent to shoot, and Practice is what everyone should be doing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.