Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

G5 montec

Old 10-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only complaint I would have is the sharpness. I can get them to shave with a little work but they normaly dont come that way.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Spike

i think that these heads are one of the best especially for a lower k.e bow, never had a problem getting them to fly good i believe i killed 10 or 11 deer with the three pack i bought before i needed new heads they really hold up all you need to do is make sharpen them and keep hunting
only bad thing i can say about them is that they arent as sharp out of the package as i like but i always sharpen every head i buy from the package anyway so it isnt a draw back for me

last year i switched to magnus stingers buzzcuts and loved them as well, this year im trying the rages, and if they dont perform how i hope its back to the g5's or magnus
Old 10-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Spike

Alot of people complain about the sharpness of the broadhead but i dont think sharp is the issue really, many of the broadheads on the market are designed with tapers similar to razor blades on your razors, these have a much different taper its designed like having a buck knife on all three sides instead of a gillette razor, its all in the taper of the blade design, on the other note, i shot a bear with them last spring it expired with in 30 yards of the shot, however i decided to switch to the tekan broadhead love the design of these and very very good cut it left a nice big hole
Old 10-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

We have come to the conclusion that it was more in shot placement (a little too high) than the broadheads. But I really do like the montecs. They are extremely tough and last. There is no one and done with them.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Fork Horn

check out the NAP Hellrazors they are a similar design but waaay sharper out of the package.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tried them once, shot a deer twice, lost it. First shot the deer was quartering away, arrow ran along the rib cage instead of through. Second shot was broadside and I think was a little high. Shot another the next day, found it a day later. Never used them again. Been with others who'ne had the same story.

Shot a deer with a head like a Thunderhead and there will be so much bleeding it won't go far, that's the difference. G5's punch a hole, thunderheads slice and dice.

I do like the way they fly and tried them because I was setting up a bow for someone who used them. He'd lost deer to but I didn't put it together until I'd tried them.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

They aren't sharp because the angle of the edge is too great. A good edge is around 20 degrees, razors down to 14, G5's are much greater, more like a wedge instead of a cut. The shortness of the head doesn't help the degree of the edge. You lay the head flat on a stone to sharpen. The head makes up a 360 degree circle making 3 120 degree points, divide that by 2 and each edge is 60. Lengthen the head and the angle drops but not enough to get to 20, you have to do that yourself. A much longer head which some of them are can get to 20. I think magnus makes one.