Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

G5 montec

Old 10-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default G5 montec

Does anyone have anything bad to say about them. My buddy lost 2 does last year with them and another guy that hunts in Kansas lost a doe with them. I am saying with them because I know that all three deer were hit really well. And they have not lost one with muzzy or thunderhead. I was just wondering if they were "too" good for the smaller Oklahoma deer? Just wondering.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:02 AM
bigcountry

I killed 5 deer with the same montec. No trouble tracking or finding the deer. I did give each deer over an hour or more. If they got good double lung low hits, and couldn't find them, then something is wrong. Are you saying each hit was thru both lungs/heart? No shoulder shots or high shots or gut/liver shots?

I did change however because I coudln't get them as sharp as I would have liked.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with bigcountry on you should find them with a good shot. I also had trouble getting them as sharp as I would like.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

No from the blood pattern there was a really good blood trail to start and then would taper off. I do believe the shot was a little high but still a deadly shot. My buddy blames himself for hitting a little high, but he said you could see blood spraying from both sides on every step. He also believes it had something to do with the ash leaves blowing around on the ground. Don't know but we have thought since they came out they would be awesome on bear, elk, or big deer, but they are so sharp on these little deer that they actually cut too clean too fast. Don't know just know they are so much stronger than the muzzy or thunderhead or any of the razor blade style. I was just wondering what everyone else had experienced.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Spike

That doesn't make sense, too clean and too fast? That's the whole point! I have shot several little Texas deer with them and if the shot is good, there shouldn't be a problem retrieving the animal. But, I have double lunged a deer with a rage and he went 200 yards with absolutely zero blood. You never really know but I would be willing to bet the shots weren't as accurate as portrayed. You can't judge a shot by the amount of blood. You have to look at the color and texture of the blood. Also a high hit could easily result in a one lunged deer which will be hard to recover. In conclusion, I think montecs are one of the best shooting and lethal broadheads on the market. I wouldn't give up on them just yet...
Old 10-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

I shot the Montecs for 5 years and never had a problem with them. Every single one spun true out of the package, and with a little work you can get them hair shaving sharp. They fly great and are quite strong. I would certainly put them in the top 10 for the best broadheads made.

That being said, I assure you, it is not the broadhead's fault for loosing the deer.
There have been plenty of shots I have taken that I thought were "slam dunk" shots. Double lunger for sure.......or so I thought. After a couple of long tracking operations and letting the deer bed down to expire I found that the shot was not exactally where I thought it was. Miss one lung and a deer can go for a long........long way in spite of leaving what most would consider to be a definate kill shot blood trail.

Chances are your buddy did not have as good of a shot as he thought.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys
Old 10-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

i planned to shoot these for a season, and had an issue with them grouping when sighting in my bow in the off season, once i placed them on the scale, their weights varied dramatically from the 100 grain stated weight, perhaps just a poor batch. i contacted the manufacturer and they sent me a refund, a hat, shirt and other "shwag."

however, i went back to my wasp hammer sst's and have not had a desire to shoot anything else since.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Spike

I have to agree with 98Redline. I use the G5 Montec and killed 4 deer last year and 1 so far this year. Never a problem finding deer.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Spike

killed 4 deer with them so far, they shoot great for me. I can't get them as sharp as i would like but it doesn't seem to matter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.