Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Using back pressure vs. pulling the trigger? >

Using back pressure vs. pulling the trigger?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Using back pressure vs. pulling the trigger?

Old 10-01-2009, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with BC,it wasn't recommended for hunting but for training and imo,that is the best way to learn what true bt feels like.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:52 AM
bigcountry

First time you use a BT release, it will feel all wrong. Nothing about it good. Kinda like bowling for the first time. Nothing is fluid or smooth and you might feel like rolling the ball down the lanes underhanded, but persistence will pay off. And as with bowling, you can only do so well granny rolling the ball.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can say this with conviction...

I for damn sure wouldn't be trying to learn a new release method right now.... not with the season either having been open or being about to open in your state.

When you pull or punch a shot with a BT release.... you'll know it. And you'll miss by a country mile. You can often get away with punching a trigger release... but what you'll notice from a target shooting standpoint is that your scores will be decent at first (something like 260s-280s out of 300) but you will never improve much. You'll usually be pretty well on the X, or off in one direction consistantly.

More than anything else... what helped my shooting was maintaining my follow through.... keep that green dot on the spot you want to hit.... and watch the arrow hit the green dot.... treat the arrow and the pin like a laser directing a laser guided missle.... it'll help ya out.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SwampCollie
I can say this with conviction...

I for damn sure wouldn't be trying to learn a new release method right now.... not with the season either having been open or being about to open in your state.

When you pull or punch a shot with a BT release.... you'll know it. And you'll miss by a country mile. You can often get away with punching a trigger release... but what you'll notice from a target shooting standpoint is that your scores will be decent at first (something like 260s-280s out of 300) but you will never improve much. You'll usually be pretty well on the X, or off in one direction consistantly.

More than anything else... what helped my shooting was maintaining my follow through.... keep that green dot on the spot you want to hit.... and watch the arrow hit the green dot.... treat the arrow and the pin like a laser directing a laser guided missle.... it'll help ya out.
X 10. Punching season it is I wont use my BT release again until im done for the season. Going back and forth has cost me too many times in the last 2 years.

BT is not easy at all to master, and like I said, I still dont consider myself as perfect with it.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

I have to agree that BT is the way to go -- and i too plan on learning it after this season. But what I did learn to do was shoot a modified BT with a wrist strap. I learned i needed to shorten my release (the punches were gone) and I learned to draw with the back instead of the arms. By concentrating on pulling my back muscels together that allows me to NOT think about hand placement -- thus decreasing torque. I have learned to wrap my finger around the trigger --- settle the corrrect pin over the target the FOCUS ON THE TARGET. I still pull my muscles together when I am ready to release, but I subconciously pull the trigger withought punching -- kinda hard to explain.

This biggest thing I can say is FOCUS ON THE TARGET. Aim small miss small.