Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Just got my first bow, need a little help with shooting. >

Just got my first bow, need a little help with shooting.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Just got my first bow, need a little help with shooting.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Spike

Default Just got my first bow, need a little help with shooting.

Hello. I'm new to archery (this is my first day) and I just got my new bow and tried it out for a few hours. I bought a Diamond Stud. I played with one a little while at a shop and then bought it from huntersfriend.com because they had a good price for the entire package. I'm 5'11" 175lbs with a 28.5" draw, a 65# draw weight, and a 65% let-off. I like the bow alot but I am having one problem. All my shots are going to the left. I shot from distances of 10-20yards. I would have good groups. I even broke the nock on the back of one of my arrows with another arrow. Many of my shots were right next to each other. I have alot of rifle experience so aming is something i'm familiar with but I cant figure out why its going left. At 10 yards i'm about 2-3 inches left and at 20 yards in about 4-5 inches left. The level on the sight says the bow is straight. And when I look at the cam when i'm at full draw, the string seems straight. The bow was set up and tested by the people at hunters friend. They say its ready to shoot. What am I doing wrong?
Old 09-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Do a search on walk back tuning your bow. If they cut across on an angle like that your center shot might be off. If your rest is 1/8" off center to the left or right that would be inches at farther distances. The bow may have been bumped during shipping moving the rest out of alignment. Once you have the rest aligned correctly for center shot you should only have to adjust for height at different distances the sight pins should all line up for right to left.

I am still kinda new to this myself but i had a similar problem and that fixed it. I am sure that someone with more experience will chime in and help.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let's keep it simple, shall we? Being new you may know nothing about tuning. If your bow is shooting well for you then do this. Nock an arrow and lay it on the rest or raise the rest if it's a drop away. Eyeball from the back and visually bisect the arrow with the string, noting the position of the sight pins.

In almost all cases the pins will not line up with the string and arrow. They need to be to the left of the string on a right handed bow. Sometimes as much as 1/4".

So it may be, and what I'd suggest for now, is to just move the sight to the left as needed to get the arrows to shoot dead center.

Maybe the bow isn't tuned just right, but this is something you can learn as you go along. Also don't be a fraid to enlist the services of a local proshop. If you get into this sport at all I always recommend joining a local archery club. There are always some good target shooters that can help you with hands-on advice.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds to me like all you need to do is adjust the sights.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

if the arrows are going farther and farther to the left when u move back then it is most likely the arrow rest that needs to be moved, in which direction im not exactly sure just move your rest slightly in one direction and then shoot a couple arrows and see if the problem got worse or better, if worse move it in the other direction keep moving your rest until the arrows all hit at the same spot(left or right not up or down necessarily) at any distance. hope this helps

Last edited by BowHunter28; 09-23-2009 at 09:19 AM.