Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Need to break-in arrows? >

Need to break-in arrows?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need to break-in arrows?

Old 09-15-2009, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Need to break-in arrows?

Maybe it's a bad choice of words, but do you break-in all of your arrows? I just got a set of 6 last year and used four for practice and left two alone. These are the two that I used in the feild and took deer with.

Is this a bad practice or should all arrows be shot equally? My main thing is that I didn't want to damage them so I left two alone. Is this a bad paractice?

Last edited by DowningAir; 09-15-2009 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

I like to shoot all of mine but do have what I consider my hunting set. They get shot a lot less. I will usually spin test em all and pick my best for my hunting arrows. Then I tweak those arrows (my hunting set) by shooting them and checking clearance, fletching alignment and make sure they fly well and are accurate. I wouldn't have confidence in an arrow I've never shot. After I've done this hunting tune I change the blades, re-spin them and touch up the tip with a diamond file. I'm really particular about what goes in my quiver and my little system just gives me 100% confidence in what is in there.

Dan
Old 09-15-2009, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mfd1027
I like to shoot all of mine but do have what I consider my hunting set. They get shot a lot less. I will usually spin test em all and pick my best for my hunting arrows. Then I tweak those arrows (my hunting set) by shooting them and checking clearance, fletching alignment and make sure they fly well and are accurate. I wouldn't have confidence in an arrow I've never shot. After I've done this hunting tune I change the blades, re-spin them and touch up the tip with a diamond file. I'm really particular about what goes in my quiver and my little system just gives me 100% confidence in what is in there.

Dan
This is pretty much what I have always done. I won't go afield with equipment of any kind that I haven't used and have 100% confidence in.