Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cutting arrows

Old 09-13-2009, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

How light is too light when talking about hunting arrows? I find it hard to believe that anything wound not have enough Ke/momentum (stored energy) to be an effective deer hunting setup at 60lbs draw with today's bows and arrow selection.

Not trying to start any arguments here just trying to educate myself here and make sure I have an effective hunting setup. Guess we will see when I have the numbers.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by constant
Does this saw cut arrows good?
I have this saw and it works great with my aluminums and an ASD device.....not sure about carbons though!
Old 09-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tremolo
How light is too light when talking about hunting arrows? I find it hard to believe that anything wound not have enough Ke/momentum (stored energy) to be an effective deer hunting setup at 60lbs draw with today's bows and arrow selection.

Not trying to start any arguments here just trying to educate myself here and make sure I have an effective hunting setup. Guess we will see when I have the numbers.

Thanks for the help guys.
Nothing is to light (with bow manuf. minimums) when the shot is executed perfectly and the shot is placed on the animal perfectly. The difference between the heavier/lighter arrows comes into play when shot execution/placement don't go as planned (of course that never happens ). The heavier, slower arrow is much more forgiving of errant shot execution/placement and outside factors such as wind. IMO light and fast is great when you are flatfooted on the ground and using good form to shoot a target but, when you are up in a tree, twisted around, angling down, cross breeze, heart pounding, etc. I'll take my slow and heavy any day.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by constant
Does this saw cut arrows good?
Got the Idea For the Saw From GGMAT And I am pretty sure he is cutting carnbons with it. It is the Same speed as the Apple saw, so I am guessing good to go, I have not bought it yet, I am waiting for some fundage
Old 09-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

The saw works great on carbon shafts . You can easily make an arrow cutting jig ...........

Old 09-14-2009, 04:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've been cutting arrows with my dremmel since the advent of carbons, and never had a problem.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:13 AM
Typical Buck

Tremelo, I think your current setup with the Carbon Express arrows that weigh out rt at 355 grains will be fine for a whitetail hunting rig. Get the numbers for us and we'll go from there.

Dan
Old 09-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

I have used the dremel and it was fine, just hard to keep straight. I bought one of the harbor freight saws and it is fine. It is a little slower than the dremel, but works fine if you take your time. My rig looks a lot like the ones pictured.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

tremolo everyone has their own views on arrow weight.I prefer a min of 450grs for any animal.Both for ensuring adequate penetration and being easier on the bow.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Well got the arrows cut and shot at the shop yesterday. Arrows weigh in at 374gr. and shot 250fps. calculated to 52 ft. lbs.