Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cutting arrows

Old 09-12-2009, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Cutting arrows

I recently ordered a dozen Carbon Express Maximas and was wondering what i can use to cut these guys down to size. I really would like to do it myself if possible. Can i use a dremel with a cut off wheel? Also how long is the recommended length for a 29" draw? My current arrows are cut at 29" and they are even with the front of the riser giving me about 2" to the rest. Should i cut them back another 1" to 1.5"?

Another quick question..

Will the difference in the lighter arrow weight increase my speed enough to maintain the same Ke put out? I know that i am currently shooting 220fps and these new arrows are 7.3gr per inch and might be shorter where as my old ones are 8.9gr per inch assuming that the knocks, vaines, inserts are the same weight.

Thanks for the help

Vince
Old 09-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

Vince, I would leave your arrows at the 29" length. An 1 1/2-2" beyond your rest is fine. You should finish up with an arrow wt. of approx. 355 gr. with a 100 gr. tip. If your original arrows did in fact weigh 463 gr. you will pick up some significant speed and yes I think it will be enough to match or exceed your current KE.

As far as cutting your arrows. If you can have a shop cut them. It's not that you can't use a dremel with an abrasive cut off wheel to cut them it's cutting them square. Unless you have a way to affix your dremel to a board or piece of angle and then rotate your arrow into it like the way true arrow cut off saws work I'm afraid you will not cut them square. I'm assuming you don't have a squaring tool such as one made by g5. You could make a squaring tool by using a fine file affixed in a bench vise and then checking it with a square. Squaring the end you cut is important so if you do decide to proceed go slow.

Do you have a fletching jig?

Dan
Old 09-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

No i dont have a fletching jig. I guess i will just go to the local shop to have them cut. I want to see how fast they shoot anyways and will need to use their chronograph.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:46 PM
bigcountry

I sure wouldn't cut anymore past the riser. I don't recommend the dremel tool. Most are not fast enough and I highly doubt you will be able to get the end square and highly doubt they will be the same length. I mean most shops only charge like 3 dollars to cut a dozen.

Get ya a decent apple cutting saw.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42307 alot cheaper and a worthy investment!!
Old 09-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

was wondering what i can use to cut these guys down to size.
Take them to a pro shop. They will only charge you about $.50 per arrow to cut them. You would be real upset if you screwed up a $140 set of arrows wouldn't you?

Will the difference in the lighter arrow weight increase my speed enough to maintain the same Ke put out?
No. You will increase your speed but you will decrease the arrows kinetic energy as well as the arrows momentum.

As you decrease the weight of the arrow the bow becomes less efficient at transferring its stored energy to the arrow. Because the bow transfers less energy to the arrow the arrow stores less energy.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls

As you decrease the weight of the arrow the bow becomes less efficient at transferring its stored energy to the arrow. Because the bow transfers less energy to the arrow the arrow stores less energy.

In layman's terms.... this means your bow is going to be louder... noise, string buzz, slap, vibration etc... all of that is just wasted energy... Newton's laws being adhered too.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

Tremolo, we will have to wait and see what kind of speeds you get with the CE Maxima's. I'm thinking you'll be in the 250 FPS range and if that's the case you will match your current KE according to BowJackson's KE calculator. Your current setup of a 463 gr. arrow traveling at 220 FPS produces 50 ft. lbs. of KE. After you get your arrows cut and fletched by your local shop hopefully they will allow you to shoot a few through their chrono. Don't forget to have them weigh them too.

Dan
Old 09-13-2009, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

My arrows should be here on tuesday so if all goes as planned i will try and have them cut, weight, speed, and sighted in by the end of the day.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:19 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by live2Draw
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42307 alot cheaper and a worthy investment!!
Does this saw cut arrows good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.