Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Broadhead weight? >

Broadhead weight?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead weight?

Old 09-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default Broadhead weight?

Ok so I want to know what weight broadhead will help me get the best flight (according to OT or a similar program). I am getting ready to pick up some BH's and want to know if 100's or 125's --or even something else-- would be good for me?

My specs: @61#
Victory V-Force HV's .400 spine-- cut to 28" @310 grains total 100gr FP -- for now
325fps

I just wanna get the right size BH so I can reduce the headaches. I shoot great out to 40 (softball size groups) with FPs but know that BH might be a different monster. Thanks for the input. And YES, I know my arrows are light. Can any of you OT guys help out? Thanks
Old 09-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

First of all, what weight are your field points? You should match your broadheads to that and be good to go...
Old 09-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

As stated above they are 100 gr right now -- but that can change if needed

And to clearify: WITH the 100 gr point they come to around 310gr total arrow weight
Old 09-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

My bad, did not catch the field point weight. With what you are shooting now you are like right at the minimum total arrow weight you could safely shoot. You might want to check your bows specs to see if 5 grains per pound is the correct. My bow is 6 grains per pound. With a heavier BH your POI will most likely change at longer ranges.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Yes--- I understand I am clost to IBO minimun. How do you think im shooting at 325fps. I know I could go heavier but im stubborn. I just want to know if a 100 or 125 gr point will benefit me more--- help get the best BH flight -- before I buy any new ones. Thanks
Old 09-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO the only way to know for sure is to try them both out and see which ones fly better. I have some 100 gr. wasps that are like brand new if you would like a couple to try.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ill send TFOX this way to check it on AA for you... You are probably underspined???

Derek
Old 09-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also think you are underspined.Probably won't have much luck with fixed blade heads but might have some luck with mechanicals.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Fork Horn

I had a feeling you were going to say I was underspined. But I went by both the chart and by the guy I have tune my bow -- and you know he is pretty darn credible. Again they are cut to 28" -- anything I can do to spine then right? Increase tip weight? Decrease? Thanks BUCK -- I actually have some 100gr Wasps. Thanks for the offer though man

Last edited by FSUBIGMAC; 09-10-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by FSUBIGMAC
I had a feeling you were going to say I was underspined. But I went by both the chart and by the guy I have tune my bow -- and you know he is pretty darn credible. Again they are cut to 28" -- anything I can do to spine then right? Increase tip weight? Decrease? Thanks BUCK -- I actually have some 100gr Wasps. Thanks for the offer though man

I gave you 27.5" for raw shaft. 325 fps with a 310 grain arrow is freaking smoking.Alot of energy there.Charts don't account for that kind of energy.YET

My suggestion is to stick the Wasp on and see if you can get them to tune with fp's.

You can usually work with stiff with broadheads but not weak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.