Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
why did my group changed when i change to broadhead >

why did my group changed when i change to broadhead

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

why did my group changed when i change to broadhead

Old 09-10-2009, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

Angry why did my group changed when i change to broadhead

i changed to fixed broadhead and my groups where all 3 to 4 inches i cant not figure it out, help please
Old 09-10-2009, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, your post is lacking some information. What were your groups with field points and at what distance are we talking about? How about some info on your setup such as bow weight, draw length, draw weight, what spine arrow and such.

There are several things that can cause groups to be larger with broadheads. One would be that the arrow spine is too light for the bow. Another is that the broadheads are not aligned (spin test) with the arrow shaft. It could be that the FOC of the arrow is too low letting the arrow drift so groups open up as the range increases. It could be a fletching contact issue. Most of these are related to:

It could just be a tuning issue. The bow/arrow combination might not be finely tuned enough. Field points won't show slight imperfections on shooting form or bow tuning near as much as broadheads.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your groups were all 3-4" what? Left, right, up or down in relation to your expandable heads? Hard to help you without more info.

But in general (for right-handed shooters), if your broadheads fly a few inches left of your fieldpoints, you can cure this by moving your rest in VERY slightly (like 1/32 of an inch at a time). Yes this will make your fieldpoints hit to the right as well, but the POI of your broadheads will shift more than the fieldpoints, and they will eventually merge to one POI. Apply the same logic to cases where you broadheads hit high, low, or right of your fieldpoints. Move the rest toward where the fieldpoints are hitting.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

thanks i have a bear compound w/48# and the arrows are carbon radicalweave 100 and the 100 gr fixed broadhead w/32in draw at 10 and 20 yard low and to the left, by 3 in , at 30 yds dead center and 1 in low

Last edited by longhunter 66; 09-10-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you shot the bow through paper, checked for contact with the rest you are using (Dr. Scholls foot powder spray is great for this). The reason I ask this is that you say at 10-20 yds. you are way off but at 30 yds. you seem to be spot on but just a tad low leading me to think your arrow is stabilizing better at longer distances because it has time to right itself but not coming off the bow well at closer distances hence the bigger miss. Sounds like it is a tuning isssue.

Shane

Last edited by sr77; 09-10-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

im willing to try anything thanks, this my first compound and on a forum and thanks again
Old 09-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Raise the rest up 1/32", and to the right 1/32", and see where you're at.

Remember, you're only trying to get them to fly to the same point of impact. Once they are, you may have to adjust your pins a bit.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

thanks for all of the advice im gettin more help than i thought i would get being a new hunter with a compound. i have shot deer with a recurve bow 15 years ago till an accident put me out of the hunt
Old 09-13-2009, 05:23 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you might want to fine tune your bow/rest. Have someone help you that knows how too, or learn yourself. It's not that hard and more rewarding to do it yourself. You can find the info online how to check and tune your bow. Good Luck
Old 09-13-2009, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

some broadheads shot different. i can only shot rage becuase no other broadhead will shot straight with my bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.