HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   What do you use to glue your inserts in? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/303129-what-do-you-use-glue-your-inserts.html)

dvallilee 09-09-2009 03:56 PM

What do you use to glue your inserts in?

Will super glue work ok on carbon arrows?

mfd1027 09-09-2009 04:32 PM

I've been using Loctite Super Glue- "Gel" formula for the last 2 yrs. I use it for inserts and fletching. I'm impressed with it's holding ability.

Dan

SwampCollie 09-09-2009 05:10 PM

Steel Force

We do thousands of arrows a year with it. Ready to shoot in 5 minutes... holds like .... well... steel.

MoNoFletch 09-09-2009 06:32 PM

Get the Loctite Gel with the IMPACT additive. Works great!!

JeffB 09-10-2009 05:28 AM

Not a fan of instants though no doubt it works.

Power Bond or Epoxy for me-that way I have time to ensure my inserts are in perfectly straight.

JoshKeller 09-10-2009 07:48 PM

probably not the most popular choice anymore, but I use hot melt glue, and have been with carbons for about 12 years. Easy to heat up the point and insert and turn it as needed.

TFOX 09-10-2009 09:23 PM

probably not the most popular choice anymore, but I use hot melt glue, and have been with carbons for about 12 years. Easy to heat up the point and insert and turn it as needed.

I do as well,but it should be noted that you have to be very carefull with the heat and never in any situation do you apply direct heat to the carbon.

I use Easton hotmelt because it is a very low temp hotmelt and it spreads more evenly than most.

I also heat the glue stick,rub it on the end of the shaft.Then I place a fieldpoint(to hold on to) in my insert and heat the insert JUST ENOUGH to get the insert to slide through the glue.I also rotate the insert as I push it in.

This creates a superior bond,absent of voids and you still have the option of insert removal at a later date if necessary.

Snood Slapper 09-10-2009 09:28 PM

I don't like Powerbond or the original Gorilla glue, or any other glue that expands when it dries. Had too many created globs behind the insert from the expansion and cause a wobble that is difficult to correct. I don't like using any heat whatsoever on carbon arrows because it is bad for the resins that bond the carbon fibers. So, I use instants.

Gorilla Glue Super Glue. Not their regular, original glue; their super glue. Has rubber particles suspended in it for impact resistance which makes it perfect for inserts. Been using it for a couple of years on my arrows and arrows I build for others, and it has never failed me. Works good to secure bowfishing points too.

BGfisher 09-11-2009 07:31 AM

I'm not a great fan of any super glue either. I use hot melt with any aluminum or aluminum core arrow (ACC), but with AC arrows I use 24 hour epoxy. Here's how I do it.

I check my inserts for fit in the shaft first to make sure they'll slide in (some arrows or inserts are tough). Then I screw a broadhead ferrule into the insert, apply epoxy to the insert and slide it into the shaft. The extra drying time allows me time to spin check the arrow/broadhead to ensure alignment, adjusting if necessary. Then I set it aside and do the next one and so on.

Next day I install the blades and turn the nock to my preferred blade alignment, making them all the same; not necessarily with the fletching. Then I fletch my arrows

Those arrows will be for hunting only so the broadhead ferrule stays on them forever or till I change arrows ten years later. Also I use a broadhead that loads the blades from the front like Muzzy. I've been using InnerLoc since 2003. That way I never have to loosen the ferrule to change blades as any time you remove a ferrule it may not seat exactly the same next time and could spin crooked.

grahambow 09-11-2009 08:40 AM

we've had some bad luck with super glue.......great luck with hot glue / haven't had any insert 'pullouts' with the hot stuff!