Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
What do you use to glue your inserts in? >

What do you use to glue your inserts in?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What do you use to glue your inserts in?

Old 09-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Spike

Default What do you use to glue your inserts in?

Will super glue work ok on carbon arrows?
Old 09-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

I've been using Loctite Super Glue- "Gel" formula for the last 2 yrs. I use it for inserts and fletching. I'm impressed with it's holding ability.

Dan
Old 09-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Steel Force

We do thousands of arrows a year with it. Ready to shoot in 5 minutes... holds like .... well... steel.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Get the Loctite Gel with the IMPACT additive. Works great!!
Old 09-10-2009, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not a fan of instants though no doubt it works.

Power Bond or Epoxy for me-that way I have time to ensure my inserts are in perfectly straight.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

probably not the most popular choice anymore, but I use hot melt glue, and have been with carbons for about 12 years. Easy to heat up the point and insert and turn it as needed.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

probably not the most popular choice anymore, but I use hot melt glue, and have been with carbons for about 12 years. Easy to heat up the point and insert and turn it as needed.

I do as well,but it should be noted that you have to be very carefull with the heat and never in any situation do you apply direct heat to the carbon.

I use Easton hotmelt because it is a very low temp hotmelt and it spreads more evenly than most.

I also heat the glue stick,rub it on the end of the shaft.Then I place a fieldpoint(to hold on to) in my insert and heat the insert JUST ENOUGH to get the insert to slide through the glue.I also rotate the insert as I push it in.

This creates a superior bond,absent of voids and you still have the option of insert removal at a later date if necessary.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Typical Buck

I don't like Powerbond or the original Gorilla glue, or any other glue that expands when it dries. Had too many created globs behind the insert from the expansion and cause a wobble that is difficult to correct. I don't like using any heat whatsoever on carbon arrows because it is bad for the resins that bond the carbon fibers. So, I use instants.

Gorilla Glue Super Glue. Not their regular, original glue; their super glue. Has rubber particles suspended in it for impact resistance which makes it perfect for inserts. Been using it for a couple of years on my arrows and arrows I build for others, and it has never failed me. Works good to secure bowfishing points too.

Last edited by Snood Slapper; 09-10-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a great fan of any super glue either. I use hot melt with any aluminum or aluminum core arrow (ACC), but with AC arrows I use 24 hour epoxy. Here's how I do it.

I check my inserts for fit in the shaft first to make sure they'll slide in (some arrows or inserts are tough). Then I screw a broadhead ferrule into the insert, apply epoxy to the insert and slide it into the shaft. The extra drying time allows me time to spin check the arrow/broadhead to ensure alignment, adjusting if necessary. Then I set it aside and do the next one and so on.

Next day I install the blades and turn the nock to my preferred blade alignment, making them all the same; not necessarily with the fletching. Then I fletch my arrows

Those arrows will be for hunting only so the broadhead ferrule stays on them forever or till I change arrows ten years later. Also I use a broadhead that loads the blades from the front like Muzzy. I've been using InnerLoc since 2003. That way I never have to loosen the ferrule to change blades as any time you remove a ferrule it may not seat exactly the same next time and could spin crooked.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Spike

we've had some bad luck with super glue.......great luck with hot glue / haven't had any insert 'pullouts' with the hot stuff!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.