Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
What do you use to glue your inserts in? >

What do you use to glue your inserts in?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What do you use to glue your inserts in?

Old 09-12-2009, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use hot melt glue also.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Spike

FRUSTRATED!!! I just used the Loctite Super Glue Gel safe for impact to install HIT inserts into Beman MFX's. As soon as the insert made contact with the arrow shaft, it instantly bonded. Now I have 2 inserts not even half way where the need to be. Is there a solution or did I just ruin two arrows?
Old 07-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Gel for me too, I used hot wax for years ago, and lost too many inserts in broad head targets.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ruler7171
FRUSTRATED!!! I just used the Loctite Super Glue Gel safe for impact to install HIT inserts into Beman MFX's. As soon as the insert made contact with the arrow shaft, it instantly bonded. Now I have 2 inserts not even half way where the need to be. Is there a solution or did I just ruin two arrows?
Jackhammer method with a drill bit should get it out. It's how I remove inserts with instant glues and works like a charm.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BGfisher
I'm not a great fan of any super glue either. I use hot melt with any aluminum or aluminum core arrow (ACC), but with AC arrows I use 24 hour epoxy. Here's how I do it.

I check my inserts for fit in the shaft first to make sure they'll slide in (some arrows or inserts are tough). Then I screw a broadhead ferrule into the insert, apply epoxy to the insert and slide it into the shaft. The extra drying time allows me time to spin check the arrow/broadhead to ensure alignment, adjusting if necessary. Then I set it aside and do the next one and so on.

Next day I install the blades and turn the nock to my preferred blade alignment, making them all the same; not necessarily with the fletching. Then I fletch my arrows

Those arrows will be for hunting only so the broadhead ferrule stays on them forever or till I change arrows ten years later. Also I use a broadhead that loads the blades from the front like Muzzy. I've been using InnerLoc since 2003. That way I never have to loosen the ferrule to change blades as any time you remove a ferrule it may not seat exactly the same next time and could spin crooked.
This is exactly what I do. I also use the same broadhead for the same reason. Well...there is other reasons I like the broadhead too.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

i just use hot glue gun sticks from walmart. I put the insert on my insert tool, heat up the insert with a torch, then rub through the glue stick and insert into shaft while I rotate it. in my experience, less is more. To much allows for more oppourtunity for uneven spreading. They hold fantastic too.