Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Correct Arrow Weight? >

Correct Arrow Weight?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Correct Arrow Weight?

Old 09-04-2009, 02:02 AM
Spike

Default Correct Arrow Weight?

I shoot a single cam bow - Draw length 26" at 64 lbs. I was sold some arrows that weigh 7.3 gr. per inch, spine .400" that I think is too light for hunting with a 100 grain tip? I don't have a scale to measure total weight, but doing the math it seems too low. Am I correct on this or are they okay.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:31 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 79xlt
I shoot a single cam bow - Draw length 26" at 64 lbs. I was sold some arrows that weigh 7.3 gr. per inch, spine .400" that I think is too light for hunting with a 100 grain tip? I don't have a scale to measure total weight, but doing the math it seems too low. Am I correct on this or are they okay.
You need to shoot at least an arrow that weights five grains per pound of draw weight. So to use it in your bow safely, your arrow needs to finish out at 320gr. 26" shaft would be 189.8 gr. plus 100gr BH would be 289.8. Add say 10 gr for insert. 299.8. I'm gonna guess 25 gr. for fletchings That'll put you at about 325 grains. Your arrow is safe to use in the bow IMHO.

Now if its good to hunt with. That can be debated. Some will say yes, some no. I'd say if you were going after whitetail you'd be fine. bigger game get a heavier arrow.

good luck. I'm sure someone else can be more help.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

OK i just want to make sure im using the right arrow. Im shootin Epic St 400s with a 100gr head, draw weight is 60-63# DL is around 29-30, arrow length is 28.....I was never good at figuring this stuff out lol
Old 09-04-2009, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Might be ok, I shoot a Browning single cam and specs say at least 6 grains per pound. Better to be a tad heavy than a tad light....
Old 09-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BUCKMARK
Might be ok, I shoot a Browning single cam and specs say at least 6 grains per pound. Better to be a tad heavy than a tad light....
yep! better to err on the side of caustion! heavier will penetrate better also.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cartman308
You need to shoot at least an arrow that weights five grains per pound of draw weight. So to use it in your bow safely, your arrow needs to finish out at 320gr. 26" shaft would be 189.8 gr. plus 100gr BH would be 289.8. Add say 10 gr for insert. 299.8. I'm gonna guess 25 gr. for fletchings That'll put you at about 325 grains. Your arrow is safe to use in the bow IMHO.

Now if its good to hunt with. That can be debated. Some will say yes, some no. I'd say if you were going after whitetail you'd be fine. bigger game get a heavier arrow.

good luck. I'm sure someone else can be more help.
Pretty solid advice here.

I agree that with whitetails... as long as you are shooting sharp broadheads and put the arrow where it needs to go... you won't have any problems at all. Cartman is pretty close with arrow weight... though with blazers they typically weigh 18gr (total for three), and a nock can weight between 4 and 7 gr... so 25 is pretty close.

400 spine arrows at 7.3" sound like flatlines, redlines or light speeds to me. Maybe the older Redhead Carbon Maxx arrows BPS sells.

No matter though, they will work ok.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

You need to be more concerned with correct spine. You can have a long arrow, weighing the right amount, but if the spine is too week it's not a good combination. You going to get an unstable arrow flight not to mention dangerous.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by wis_bow_huntr
OK i just want to make sure im using the right arrow. Im shootin Epic St 400s with a 100gr head, draw weight is 60-63# DL is around 29-30, arrow length is 28.....I was never good at figuring this stuff out lol
yeah you are spined right man.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Spike

Thank you for all your input/advice.

The frustrating thing about these arrows is that I went to a big box store and told them what I was currently shooting (Gold Tip XT Hunter 5575's which weigh 8.2 gr./in) and that I just wanted a dozen of those. They didn't have any so the "archery expert" picked out the arrows that I got. Lesson learned about big box stores.

When I got home I looked at the back of the box and the arrow chart was for a bow that has 50-65% let-off, round wheels, and steel cables. I'm no archery pro, but I haven't seen a bow like that in years. I have a brand new bow with 80% let off. The way I figured it, those arrows would maybe just barely be heavy enough. The spine was correct - just not enought weight.

I have since bought some Gold Tip Pro Hunters the correct spine and weight so I should be good to go.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

http://www.backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/tools.php

i'm gonna shoot some 326grain arrows using my 63# Omen @ 28"DL = 330+ FPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.