Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
whats with the stabilizer >

whats with the stabilizer

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

whats with the stabilizer

Old 08-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

Question whats with the stabilizer

i am looking at upgrading my stabilizer from the stock one that came with my bow. but i realize i dont know what to look for. can i get some advice on on what to look for in a stabilizer? and how it will effect the performance of my bow.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best analogy I've come up with is to compare a stabilizer on a bow to the stick the guy at the circus who walks the high wire carries with him. He doesn't carry a short little stick... he totes a 40 foot pole. The longer something is, the more stable it will be.

For hunting, however, there is a law of dimishing returns. A stabilizer much over 10 or 12" in length becomes rather cumbersome, especially if manuvering inside a ground blind.

Personally, I like Doinkers. I use a 6" 6.3oz model on my Drenalin.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:14 PM
bigcountry

For hunters IMO, stabilizer is more for balancing. So after the shot you don't go grab the bow. Or the bow falls backward. A big mistake I see folks make is putting on a long stabilizer and the bow is not balanced. You will tournament shooters not only have the stabilization but back counter wieghts also.

Pick out the right one to where the bow will sit dead in your hand after the shot. I like stealth myself.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pick out the right one to where the bow will sit dead in your hand after the shot. I like stealth myself.
I agree. My current hunting bow likes the Octane 7" stabilizer. I have another that prefers the Octane 11.5" stabilizer.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

http://www.jimposten.com

This is my choice. But be prepared to spend some money.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:38 AM
Fork Horn

well thanks for the advice all. i guess next weekend i will be grabbing a hand full of stabilizers and seeing which one is best.

oh and Rev that website has a lot of helpful info as well, thanks for that, im considering getting one of those.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was always told you want the bow to naturally roll forward after the shot. This has been working with me. I just bought a new stablizer for my bow to replace my little Doinker. It never really did much for my new bow. I upgraded to a 6 or 7 inch. Putting it on tonight to see how well it works.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:34 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by wis_bow_huntr
I was always told you want the bow to naturally roll forward after the shot. This has been working with me. I just bought a new stablizer for my bow to replace my little Doinker. It never really did much for my new bow. I upgraded to a 6 or 7 inch. Putting it on tonight to see how well it works.
Sure, if your a target shooter and let the bow follow thru the roll.

But if your in a tree stand and have to grab the bow, then Stabilizer is not balancing the bow.