Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Broadhead Problem >

Broadhead Problem

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead Problem

Old 07-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Broadhead Problem

Alright I have asked 3 different archery shops and each one gave me a different answer so I have no idea which to try.

First the problem:

I am trying to get my broadheads to fly the same as my field tips. at 20 yards I am getting them shaft to shaft. So obviously at 20 yards I have no issue. But then I step back to 30.....

Now the field tips are hitting the bulls eye and the broadheads are 6 inches low. I tried moving the rest like I had been doing but they dont get any closer. I am stumped...any ideas?

First diagnosis: "Hmm I have no idea....maybe you should just switch to mechanicals or limit yourself to 20 yard shots."

Second Diagnosis: "Sounds like the broadhead is too heavy, switch to a lighter grain tip."

Third Diagnosis: "its completely natural for the arrow to drop from 20 to 30 yards, just move your pin" (complete idiot) haha I didnt even attempt to explain.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

If I were you I would look at getting some better broadheads like G5 strykers they fly more like field tips.But, there is no such broadhead thats going to fly exactly like a field tip.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:44 PM
bigcountry

Well, I agree with your assessment of the different shops. Some pro-shops are just scary. You ought to come to MD, its gets worse the more north you travel.

It sounds like you have ran out of adjustment if you are raised all the way up and still hit low. At this point, nocking point needs to be lowered or you have clearance issues.

Point wieght has no bearing on BH's hitting with field points. Getting some new whiz bang BH out there like G5s that are way overpriced is not your issue, as you seem to know. Just the problem needs to fixed.

Move your nocking point down 1/16" and try again. I start at 20 yards, and then I usually move out to 50 yards.

If you have clearance issues, BH's are going to make it worse. Problems get tougher with clearance issues.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no shortage of things that can cause issues like yours.

First, I think a relavant question is what broadhead are you shooting? There are certain heads, such as the crimson talons with curved blades, that have increased surface area. That increase in surface area creates drag, which slows your arrow and causes a difference that is more and more pronounced as range increases. Natural feathers have the same affect, even though they are faster (due to their light weight) right off the bow.

What kind of set up do you have? What poundage, what kind of speed?
Old 07-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with bigcountry. As long as your field points weigh the same as your broadheads, they CAN fly the same (or very close). In your case, I would either move your nocking point down or your rest up a bit. That should bring them close.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am currently shooting a Hoyt Kobalt set at 47 pounds with a 26 inch draw length.

Muzzy 100Gr. 3-Blade Broadheads and Victory V-force 600 Arrows.

I had the Muzzy's flying great last year with the same set-up besides the arrows. Thats the only thing I have changed. I still have a little more room left to move the rest up some more, so I guess I will continue to try that.

Once that is done I will check the nocking point and go from there. If all else fails and I dont have the thing close by hunting season, I will just sight in for broadheads I guess.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

Has the spine changed on the arrows you are shooting now from the ones you were shooting?
Old 07-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by KYDeerHunter03
I am currently shooting a Hoyt Kobalt set at 47 pounds with a 26 inch draw length.

Muzzy 100Gr. 3-Blade Broadheads and Victory V-force 600 Arrows.

I had the Muzzy's flying great last year with the same set-up besides the arrows. Thats the only thing I have changed. I still have a little more room left to move the rest up some more, so I guess I will continue to try that.

Once that is done I will check the nocking point and go from there. If all else fails and I dont have the thing close by hunting season, I will just sight in for broadheads I guess.

I think your arrows might be a little bit weak spined. The Kobalt is a sporty little slingshot and 26 ain't really short for a ladies draw. Someone with OT2 can confirm that... but I'd of opted for 500s.

Take a turn or two off the poundage and see if it changes anything. Back'em off the same... easy to put it right back where it was. And if you have any of your old arrows that worked well sitting around... break'em out and see if they will get right for you. Sounds like you know how to eliminate the variables pretty well... just gotta find whichever one got overlooked. Muzzy's seem to always shoot a little low.... and I have my opinions on why... but its pure speculation. They are a good head, and if you have gotten them to group before I'm sure you can do it again.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would try and move the rest up...
Old 07-29-2009, 06:18 PM
bigcountry

Hey swamp, you really think weak spined is the issue? I never seen a bad spine cause a huge difference in bh flight vertically.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.