Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
100grn or 125grn??? >

100grn or 125grn???

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

100grn or 125grn???

Old 07-28-2009, 08:32 PM
byg
Spike

Default 100grn or 125grn???

I am still fairly new to the archery game, but am learning alot on the threads here, but wondering if I have this right. I have been using 125grn fbh, if I switched to 100grn I could gain some speed
but loose some kenetic energy? In a nut shell, what speed difference is there between 125 & 100 grn head. Would I need to re tune w/lighter arrow?

Bear element
28"DL
63#DW

Thanks
Old 07-29-2009, 04:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Speed gain would be minimal. The worst thing that can happen is you lose valuable FOC which can not only affect your penetration but also can affect arrow flight and group size. If you have the spine to carry the 125's I'd stay with them.

I'm shooting the New 125 grain Grizz trick this year.

Dan
Old 07-29-2009, 07:40 AM
byg
Spike

Thanks for the reply, I am not that concerned about speed.
I am going to get some new arrows and BH's and was just
giving it some thought..I am using a cheap easton arrow and 125grn thunderheads now,they fly pretty good
Old 07-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

The quick and dirty answer to your question is why not try both?

Field points are cheap... get a package of each and shoot some of both. You'll be able to tell pretty fast what your bow/arrow set up is going to perform best with... so just roll with it.

Dan made a great point as well.... I personally, like him, shoot 125s. I think there are plenty of ways to pick up a few FPS.. but in the long run a bow that shoots a bit faster and not quite as accurately only gets you to the wrong place faster. Everything in your set up should be geared around accuracy first and stealth/noise suppression second. Only then should you worry about milking out some speed.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:31 PM
byg
Spike

Swamp, thats kinda where I am at, it is pretty quiet and really no vibration and my accuracy is pretty good to 40yds. I wouldnt take a shot beyond that. So I was thinking maybe a little fps
wouldnt hurt but not a "gotta have" thing.