Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

rage?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:32 AM

Default rage?

I use the 2" 100 grain rocket hammer head, and have good passthrus on all deer sizes. I hear so much about the rage and all the video footage I see on tv or dvd I see the rage not passing thru.
If it is not lossing the energy from deploment why is it that most(75%) or more do not pass thru. The premo and drury guys got me using the rocket which now is hard to find. I looked at their old video and the rockets would always pass thru with no arrow sticking out of the deer and good blood trails. Dont get me wrong dead is dead but I hear they dont lose enery on deploment so why do they stop? What is your knowlegde of the rage?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

I started using the 3 blade Rages last year. The only deer I shot it hit his neck in the spine and dropped him. I had to finish him off. I got down on a knee about 5 yards away and shot up though the sternum and the broad head was sticking out through the spine by about 6 inches. The finshing shot proved to me that if I had placed my fist shot behind the shoulder it would have had no problem getting past a couple ribs. Granted I was only at like 5 yards, but through the sternum and through the spine.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:06 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by james therrell
I use the 2" 100 grain rocket hammer head, and have good passthrus on all deer sizes. I hear so much about the rage and all the video footage I see on tv or dvd I see the rage not passing thru.
If it is not lossing the energy from deploment why is it that most(75%) or more do not pass thru. The premo and drury guys got me using the rocket which now is hard to find. I looked at their old video and the rockets would always pass thru with no arrow sticking out of the deer and good blood trails. Dont get me wrong dead is dead but I hear they dont lose enery on deploment so why do they stop? What is your knowlegde of the rage?
A couple things come into play here.

#1 The Rage do not have a CoC (Cut on Contact) tip. It is an aluminum tip that to me is not very sharp or durable at all. Cut on Contact tips are great for penetration!!

#2 When the head enters the animal and the blades deploy there is ALOT of surface on that head that needs to get through the animal. When you watch sportbike racing you see the riders duck down under their windsheild on a straight away. This is to make them as streamlined with the bike as they can to avoid any drag. When they come to a turn they sit up so their body is almost acting as a wind brake because their is more surface there for the wind to come into contact with. Take a fixed blade broadhead and shoot it into a target, then take another head and remove the blades and shoot that into the target. The head without the blades will penetrate deeper beause there is less cutting surface to interfere with the forward motion/momentum.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Spike

If you want in-flight accuracy, big time penetration and exit holes then i would go with the spitfire. EVERY deer i have ever shot with a spitfire i have killed and found easily, with sweet blood trails. They also have a cut-on-contact and razors always open up
Old 07-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flybub
aluminum tip
****Wrong****
Old 07-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by kwilson16
****Wrong****
Sorry, alum. body with a stainless tip, my bad. Thanks for putting up the right answer

Not a good tip to penetrate bone if you make a bad shot in my opinion. That's what it is though, an opinion. I've seen 3 unintentional shoulder shots with Rage and the tip on all of them rolled up like tin foil.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:14 AM
Typical Buck

Rage heads do not penetrate well. Why? There are several factors. These are all my opinion though, i'm no engineer. The blades take energy away from penetration to deploy. Not much but some. Then the large path the two blade rage cuts also takes alot of energy to achieve. The three blades would require the same if not more energy to push through because of the extra blade. The tip is a very poor design to aide in penetration. Add all that up and you get poor penetration. Hit a bone (like the shoulder blade not rib) and your done......no penetration at all. The heads are just weak in this area.

On top of all that the marketing of the heads is aweful IMHO but it seems to be working. The whole, expand your kill zone, find your game guarantee nonsense, like throwing an axe through a deer...... again that's all my opinion, it's obviously working because and inferior broadhead has a cult like following!

I've seen enough that I don't like about the Rage that I won't use them on game.

Some people will spit on you for talking bad about Rage broadheads. It's almost like you insulted there mother! Oh well, to each their own.

good luck deciding.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

when i got em two years ago, i noticed the tip wasnt sharp, and took 5 minutes to sharpen em. I actually think the only broadhead i would buy without goin over em are naps and slick tricks. Needless to show the first deer i shot was about 170 dressed out, at 35 yards or so, and the arrow went through the blade of the front shoulder, and out the knuckle of the back. not the greatest shot, but the arrow was buried in the ground 10 yards past the deer. I have no issue with the penetration of these things. I would never use the 3 blade though
Old 07-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Readers Digest answer:

Look at the angle of the blades on a 2-blade rage with respect to the surface to be cut. The steeper (closer to 90 degrees) that angle gets, the more a blade will 'push' its way through rather than slice.

A more obtuse angle, such as a longer head like your hammerheads, offers more of a slice rather than a push.

You wouldn't try and cut a steak by pushing your knife down on it.... you slice it along the blade.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

I use to shoot a Rage 100 grain 2 blade, but they would never pass through any deer I shot.I always made awesome shots right in the heart, but they never passed through.I have switched to G5 strykers and I am going to try them out this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.