Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Fletching Question >

Fletching Question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching Question

Old 07-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Spike

Default Fletching Question

I just recently decided to switch from aluminum arrows with 4" vanes to carbon arrows with 2" blazer vanes.
I have never had any issues fletching the aluminums, but I just tried fletching a batch of carbons, and am having a heck of time getting the blazers to adhere properly. I don't seem to be able to get good contact to the arrow using the Bitzenburger. Every arrow came out with the vanes not firmly pressed to the arrow. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Do I need a special clamp for crabons or blazers?
Anyone have any tips?
Old 07-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Fletching Question

First thing make sure the arrow is clean using denatured alcohol. (personally I use some 600 grit sand paper to make sure the arrow is clean of all lacquer and oil) I also use the 600 grit to scuff the end of the blazer. I use super glue "GEL". Been doing it for years without a problem.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fletching Question

I use the Bitz with feathers on carbons without any problems.That said do a dry run adjusting the jig until you can see the base is properly seated end to end.With feathers I set them in the clamp so there's about an 1/8" gap between the quill/edge of the clamp.As I press down it seats the rest of the way into the clamp.As stated be sure the shaft is clean.Also use a glue made specifically for use on carbons.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

I use a Bitz for Blazers all the time, no problem with getting the Blazers to stick. In fact, when I need to refletch I have to use plyers to get remove the Blazers more often than not. I use wraps (onestringer.com does a great job) and Fletchtite Platinum. Make sure to push down on the clamp to insure good contact.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

I always leave a small gap between the jig and the blazer and that does a great job.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cwillard
I always leave a small gap between the jig and the blazer and that does a great job.
That's the key with my Bitz regardless of what the arrow's made of.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

leaving space between the clamp and the base of the vane and keeping the vane pressed down against the shaft for about 30 seconds works for me. I use wraps now so just about any glue works, but when I was fletching blazers to carbons without any wrap, super glue gel worked well.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

I love Bohning instant gel and goat tuff works well for me also.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

+1 On the gap between jig and vane. I also went from 4" to 2" except i shoot duravane savages it seems like they do better for me with the biscuit. I also use a bitz with wraps and fletchtite platinum and have had no problems. I did have to reduce the helical a little as i was using a lot on the 4".
Old 07-15-2009, 05:09 PM

I use a bitz with blazers. Here the thing, make sure the the angle the you can set the fletching at. Set it so it makes the best contact.

Quick Reply: Fletching Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.