Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning ?

Old 07-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Spike

Default Tuning ?

I was just wondering how often you need to get your bow tuned if you shoot alot? And I have also heard that you should put a mark on your camparralel with the limb on both sides of the limb so you can tell when it goes out of time. Does any one on here do this and if so how well does it work. I know on single cam bows it shouldnt be as big of a problem but ive heard you should do the same for them as well
Old 07-05-2009, 02:34 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Tuning ?

You need to always check tune especially before hunting season. REally, only you can check tune for your bow. A shop can check things over, even paper tune, but even a paper tuned bow isn't really ready to hunt.

An easy way to check tune is to make sure your Broadheads are hitting the same place as field points. This is really the first step. If your a hunter, you want to hit where your aimin. If this is for 3d or target, more significant tuning could be required.

I myself like bareshaft tuning. I take a picture of my cams and a mark does the same thing. Before hunting season, I make sure the bh's hit same poi as my field, and check this every few weeks or if I drop my bow, etc.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tuning ?

Always mark the cam as you have described. And don't let anybody kid you. It's more important to do it with single cams because the longer string can creep more and cause a bigger change than what you would normally see with a dual or Binary system.

I don't quite get your question about tuning. You ask how often to GET the bow tuned? Maybe you're asking about how often to get things checked. The truth is, if you shoot a lot, then you owe it to yourself to learn how to do your own work. You get familiar with this and you can take some measurements, such as brace height, A2A, draw weight, draw length, nocking point hright in relation to the rest, peep height above the nocking point. Then you can periodically check these if the bow changes somewhat. The more you do the more you'll learn how to do and understand what does what.

For what it's worth most of the above is NOT tuning a bow. It's mostly SETTING the bow up. Proper tuning is asjuting all this stuff to get the best arrow flight and performance out of the bow and the only person who can do that right is you. You have to be the shooter. Nobody shoots with the same grip or form so if another TUNES the bow it may not shoot the same for you.