Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Doing it on your own >

Doing it on your own

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Doing it on your own

Old 06-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Spike

Default Doing it on your own

I'm wanting to do my own technical stuff to my bow. Like putting on peeps, d-loops, nocks etc. If you know of some videos I could invest in to teach me I would apppreciate it
Old 06-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Spike

Default RE: Doing it on your own

One more thing I would like to also fletch my own arrow. I just feel it would be more rewarding if I do it all myself when I finally get a kill.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:49 PM
bigcountry

Well, one thing at a time. I suggest starting a bow from scratch. Ask a question on here and many folks will answer. There's some great material from Greg on the top about D-loops and initial setup. Once you get that setup, come back and lots of folks will help out.

Fletching, well, thats just practice. Go out and buy yourself a fletching jig, and start doing it. You will figure out when you used too much glue, or type of glue you like.

Youtube has a lot of material too.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice from bigcountry. I learned to do all of my setup tinkering on an old bow of mine that I got in 1986, that I had put away for fifteen years (about how long I was out of bowhunting). I wasn't scared of making mistakes on it, and figured out if you are willing to spend the time to tinker, and have the patience, subsequently it gets easier.

As far as fletching goes, it isn't real hard. I bought a Grayling fletching jig pretty cheap a few years ago and still use it. Just remember to clean your shafts off real well (unless they are new bare shafts) and make sure to use enough adhesive to not have any gaps between your vane/feather and the shaft. And, I also put a drop of adhesive on the front of the vane and the back after they are in place.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:23 AM
bigcountry

One thing that helped me a lot was I took an older bow like grizz and totally restrung it myself. I took it apart all the way down to every piece. I put back together and lubed all the axles, and all. I then played around on paper for a few hundred shots leanring cause and effect for each change. I would rais and lower the rest, raise and lower the nocking point. Move the rest all the way left and right. Seeing the tears that happen, seeing how much caused vane clearance issues. I then shot way underspined arrows and overspined, and all in between. Shot with my cams out of sync and in sync. Shot with cam lean and without. Played around with every method of tuning I could find from french tuning, to BH tuning, to bare shaft to paper, to laser. It was time well spent.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

An important thing to realize is that the learning process is slow. This forum is a great source of info but trial and error will be your greatest teacher. We are all learning from each other.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Spike

There is a website I foundcalled bowtuningtips.com that is pretty cool. Lots of freeeasy to understand technical videos on there