Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Thinking of using crazy glue for vanes >

Thinking of using crazy glue for vanes

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Thinking of using crazy glue for vanes

Old 05-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Thinking of using crazy glue for vanes

ORIGINAL: Centaur 1

I use fletch-tite platinum and it seems to last, I think that its because of the aluminum tube. A buddy of mine uses goat-tuff and it goes bad on him, I think its because the bottle lets air in and the aluminum tube doesn't.
Same thing I use. I've used most adhesives on the market but this is pretty much what I stick to now. At only a few $ a tube I can fletch several dozen arrows.

Dan
Old 05-09-2009, 12:41 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I use fletch-tite platinum and it seems to last, I think that its because of the aluminum tube. A buddy of mine uses goat-tuff and it goes bad on him, I think its because the bottle lets air in and the aluminum tube doesn't.
Same thing I use. I've used most adhesives on the market but this is pretty much what I stick to now. At only a few $ a tube I can fletch several dozen arrows.

Dan
Dad gone it, you guys are going to make me go out and try it again. So do you clean your shafts with anything first? I usually clean my with 95% alcohol.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Dan
Dad gone it, you guys are going to make me go out and try it again. So do you clean your shafts with anything first? I usually clean my with 95% alcohol.
BC, I use Denatured Alcohol.

That's what a mentor taught me years ago and I've never had a reason to change. It's always worked!

Dan
Old 05-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

JeffB, I figured the first time when I saw your avatar that you just had to be a Maiden fan. I could talk Maiden ( and the Old Metal days for hours also.). There is a guy where I work that is about my age and is an old metalhead too. When we first met we had a blast talking all night ( we were on the graveuard shift then.) We used to play Metal Trivia all the time. We would come up with real hard questions and see if we could stump each other ( Kind of like Stump the Trump! I bet you know what I mean).
I agree with you about Jannick Gers. I mean it is pretty cool of the band to still let him stay after Adrian came back, but I gotta admit, I just cannot stand watching the guy play live. Way way too much flipping around for me. Kind reminds me of Juan Croucier from Ratt. Just too animated I guess. And in my book, there ain't a better metal bass player than Steve Harris. I remember how they were always going on about Billy Sheehanbeing such a bass god. Man Harrisplays circles around him.
Funny you mentioned Grahm Bonnet. A few weeks ago they were talking about how Alcatrazz was wanting to do something again, buthe is into some other weird kind of music now. He truly never really didlook the part anyway, but he had some pipes.
Hey, just remembered that this is a hunting forum. Amazing how a couple old Maiden heads can take super glue and bring Eddie and the boys into it!
We'll have to talk some time and get some Piece of Mind
Old 05-09-2009, 04:35 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Dan
BC, I use Denatured Alcohol.

That's what a mentor taught me years ago and I've never had a reason to change. It's always worked!

Dan
I never could get the straight scoop on Isopropyl and denatured. I have asked chemist and pharmasist. I know denatured, means, you can't drink it. Then I heard its hydroscopic. I got both. I have a tube of the platnum, and still looks good but like I said, I have had it for litterly 3-4 years.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is probably still good.

I clean my shafts with Acetone but then I wipe clean with water to get rid of the residue left behind by the acetone.I find acetone works better than most for removing old glues.I will use an sos pad on stubborn arrows but always wipe clean with water before fletching.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

BC, I was told to use Denatured Alcohol because it does not have any oils or other ingredients that would leave any type of residue.

I'm sure there are other things that will work. I've just never had a reason to try something else.

Dan
Old 05-10-2009, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for FT platinum. Never had an issue, so I've never tried others. I also clean with Acetone, shafts and vane bases.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Proff- maybe we'll hafta start a Official HNI Iron Maiden thread in the off-topic forum!
Old 05-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

i use the gorilla glue super glue, it says on the tube that its impact resistant, i havn't had any problems

Quick Reply: Thinking of using crazy glue for vanes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.