Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Thoughts on knotless loops? >

Thoughts on knotless loops?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Thoughts on knotless loops?

Old 05-03-2009, 06:39 AM
Spike

Default Thoughts on knotless loops?

Although Greg's post on installing a loop was great, I ran across an ad for the knotless loop and thought these look really great. I realize you need a press to remove the string to install but was wondering of those that use them thought of these compared to the knot type loop? Thanks.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thoughts on knotless loops?

I've not used one- though I have seen them- I don't particularly care for the concept, and it's my understanding they are heavier.

They should be extremely durable- I'd think you'd need to change your string before the loop, then again, I usually don't need a new standard loop before changing strings....I could also see them being hell on a center serving.

Bottom line- I don't see the problem/s it's trying to fix....and it's possible they create their own?

Old 05-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used them and they work great.

Advantages:
Cannot come untied
Increased durability

Disadvantages:
More expensive
No adjustability (although they are available in 3 lengths)
Old 05-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I use a D Loop I tie it super short. The knotless loops I've seen were entirely too long.

I really don't see any problem with the Regular D loop that these are supposed to fix, unless you are just not comfortable tying one

Dan
Old 05-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

my big thing is replacing the danged things...gotta press the bow which may or may not effect the tune...

plus they cost more...

im the kinda guy that likes to fix things that arent broken just to be safe...i replace my loop a month or 2 before the hunting season reguardless of how worn it is...sometimes twice a year depending on how much i shoot...

not a huge deal to press a bow a couple times a year if you have a press...but i dont...

and ive never had trouble with the knotted loops..and like to tie my own real short...takes a little "confidence" i guess you would call it to trust your own loops..and takes a couple times to get the knots and length down..but after that and a couple yards of material, your set....
Old 05-04-2009, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

The biggest reason I tie my own d-loops is the adjustability it offers in fine-tuning my anchor point. I can tie them so short that I can't get my release head in between the nock and the loop material, so I don't worry about giving up too much length.

As has been noted up above, not only are you giving up that adjustability and chance to custom-fit your rig, the ones I've seen have been entirely too long.

That, and I can tie a d-loop on in about three minutes tops. I'd hate to have to press my bow and remove a string for that process.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:57 AM
Spike

I use the "Catfish Loop" on my bow. I think it is virtually the same as the knotless loop. I just googled it to find the instructions. You can make this loop any length you want and don't have to press the bow.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Spike

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and was very interested to answer any questions you may have on knotless loops! I myself help my father work in his business in which we produce and hand make our own knotless loops. It seems some concerns are the length of the loops and the adjustability.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MeanV2
When I use a D Loop I tie it super short. The knotless loops I've seen were entirely too long.

I really don't see any problem with the Regular D loop that these are supposed to fix, unless you are just not comfortable tying one

Dan
The ones I make are no longer than the D-loop...they are single loop, and they can be changed out in 1 minute if needed...
The ones I have on both of my bow work extremely well...they have been there for many shots now.
...and nothing to ever come loose
Old 02-11-2012, 06:24 AM
Spike

Waste of time and money