Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Hoyt used bow Opinions please >

Hoyt used bow Opinions please

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hoyt used bow Opinions please

Old 04-12-2009, 03:11 PM

Default Hoyt used bow Opinions please

Hello, I'm looking to get into archery, and bow hunting this year. I have been looking on craigslist in the area and come up with a few good prospects. One bow in particular is the Hoyt Havoctec, for $350 with Trophy Taker rest, winter choice string, extreme 4 pin sight, bohning quiver. Anyone shot one of these before and or hunted with it? Could you reccomend it for a beginner?

thanks!

-Brett
Old 04-12-2009, 03:13 PM

Default RE: Hoyt used bow Opinions please

ORIGINAL: broyeah

Hello, I'm looking to get into archery, and bow hunting this year. I have been looking on craigslist in the area and come up with a few good prospects. One bow in particular is the Hoyt Havoctec, for $350 with Trophy Taker rest, winners choice string, extreme 4 pin sight, bohning quiver. Anyone shot one of these before and or hunted with it? Could you reccomend it for a beginner?

thanks!

-Brett
Old 04-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im not sure about the Havotec b/c ive never shot/used one, but i can say that hoyt's quality is second to none, and the setup seems pretty decent. As long as it fits you and you are comfortable with the bowitself im sure it would be pretty good.

Derek
Old 04-12-2009, 03:57 PM

I'd at minimum go to a dealer and see what your draw length will be and see how comfortable you are at the different draw weights...that will help let you know if the bow will "fit"
Old 04-12-2009, 06:40 PM

should be a good one to start with. Just make sure it fits you correctly!
Old 04-12-2009, 07:18 PM

Yes, I take a 30.5 Draw, I've shot recurves quite a bit, I'm mainly concerned with the quality of the model. I understand Hoyt makes really awesome stuff, I don't really know anything about accessories though. I understand string silencers are pretty important, and the anti-shock dealy that sticks out the front is pretty desireable too. From what I've read about this model, it seems to have more than average hand shock.

wel thanks

-Brett
Old 04-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

30.5 draw length,I would pass on the havoctec.IMO,way too short of a bow for that draw length.

Fine bow at a fine price with some quality accessories but not the bets fit for you.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

30.5 draw length,I would pass on the havoctec.IMO,way too short of a bow for that draw length.

Fine bow at a fine price with some quality accessories but not the bets fit for you.
Prolly a good call on that one...

Are you a 30.5" with or without a release? Do you plan on using a release? I ask b/c if you are going from no release to using one, your DL will probably be a little bit shorter than that.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Agreed.

I had a HavocTec and even at my shade under 29" draw, the bow was pretty critical despite the bigger brace. Very little riser to it, all limbs. Not one of Hoyt's best, IMO. Short A2A bows have come a long way in just 6 or 7 years.

at a 30" draw I'd stick with something in the 34 and up range, 35-36" probably being the best compromise.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:32 AM
Typical Buck

You can probably get a newer bow for a similar price. Check out archerytalk.com or ebay. There are often some 2007 or so Hoyts on there for that much, and they are better shooters than the Havoctec, not to mention newer. I think the Havoctec is probably a 2002 model at the latest. At your draw length, I'd look for a Vectrix XL, Katera XL, or a Vtec. A 38 Pro or 737 are also awesome shooters. A 35"-38" axle to axle bow will be much easier to shoot at a 30" draw.

How tall are you ? I'm 5'10", and shoot a 28" draw on a hunting bow. Most guys my height are anywhere between 27.5" and 28.5" depending on their shooting style, release etc.

Quick Reply: Hoyt used bow Opinions please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.