Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 UPS brought me Black Death today >

UPS brought me Black Death today

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

UPS brought me Black Death today

Old 04-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default UPS brought me Black Death today

Yes I know I need to change the stabilizer & wrist sling- I'm considering having it dipped black/carbon cos you cannot buy the Sorboteks anymore.

Brown came kinda late and I opened the box up, drew it once, and threw it in my bow case and headed to the shop. Set the loop 1/8" above square, eyeballed the centershot, got the LD cord set, peep in, and sight on. It's 28.5" AMO dead nuts, 59 pounds. 6 & 1/8" brace.

301 Grain Carbon Tech Cheetah shot 318 FPS.
388 grain ICS Hunter shot 287 FPS

As you can see it has an EXTRA LONG serving. I'm confident I will be at or over 320 IBO and 290 with the hunting shaft when it gets a "proper" serving on it. The string is supposedly built by Stone Mountain and after a few shots, settled in (at leats for the time being).

But who gives a crap about speed if it won't shoot, right? It took me a few shots to get my 20 yard pin where it needed to be, and then I shot my first 3 arrow group which was 2 ICSH stacked on top of one another and one about 1/2" away. My next 2 groups were the same. I even took a nice picture with my phone camera...and forgot to save it [:@]

I'm sorry, but these Binary cam bows just flat out rule the roost as far as I am concerned. They aim better than anything I've ever had in my hands, the limb stop cannot be beat, they are easy peasy to tune, absolutely stack arrows, and are quick as all get out. They are a little stiff on the back end of the draw but that I can live with for all the positives traits. I immediately was shooting this bow with far less effort than I thought it would require with a 6" brace height.

The bow has little recoil and vibration considering- it's not as gentle as my admiral to shoot, but its right in there with the GT-500 (and has the speed the GT was SUPPOSED to have ) and AM35 for recoil. I put a pair of Limbavers on, and really the difference was insignificant.- kinda pi$$ed me off I spent the $ on them. The noise is slightly more than the GT500 or a 82nd or X force, but the guys at the shop a said that it's actually quieter than I'm percieving it when shooting.

The bow has a couple of minor finish issues (a very small ding under the powdercoat, and a scuff on one limb butt), but considering I traded a used guitar for it, I'm in no position to complain, and considering the money these generally sell for (a couple hundred less than most top end speed bows) I still would not complain- serious bang for the buck. I'm very impressed and I was prepared to be sorely disappointed based on my last 2 Martins (which I had issue with the cam systems, not the bow design). I was so psyched about the bow I totally forgot to spine test the Victory arrows.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: UPS brought me Black Death today

Very nice looking bow Jeff. I remember the Warthog Magnum I owned for a few years way back when. A real screamer at the time, but with plenty of handshock. Amazing how much that is reduced with today's designs and technology. Martin looks like its seriously returning to form with some good hunting bows for '09. I have always like their grips better than most others. I look forward to reading more from you after shooting this bow for a while.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Very nice looking bow Jeff. I remember the Warthog Magnum I owned for a few years way back when. A real screamer at the time, but with plenty of handshock. Amazing how much that is reduced with today's designs and technology. Martin looks like its seriously returning to form with some good hunting bows for '09. I have always like their grips better than most others. I look forward to reading more from you after shooting this bow for a while.
Thanks Greg- Yes this is a FAR cry from the original Warthogs

I was really disappointed with my last 2 Martins- In the mid to late 90s I had several and my 1997 Rage XRG w/ Z cams is one of top all time fave bows- that SOB just shot itself despite the 5 7/8" brace. Then they went to crap for sev years. I had a little shorty Panther Mag with fusion cam that wa actually a good shooter, but loud, slow and lots of recoil, but my Cougar III and Razor X SE...ugh..I had more problems with those two.

This Warthog seems like it may do the same thing as that 97 Rage XRG- it holds super steady like the Admiral does- total control of the shot sequence-I'm not fighting it at all like I did the AM35.

Also thanks to Dan @ MeanV for getting me hooked up with the LD solid limb adpater, new cord, and the new launcher in super fast fashion. This LD is a fantastic rest. a "no brainer" if you will.

Now who wants to make suggestions for custom color string/cables? so far I'm thinking

FLO Green/Black
FLO Green/Flo Orange (like the new Bear bows)
Purple/Black
Flo Orange/Black

Old 04-10-2009, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

I got to shoot my dealers Warthog a few weeks ago. At 57 lbs, it was fast and very smooth. Didnt even notice the 6 in brace height. Although I love my 09 MOAB at 70lbs, I think my next will bow may be a Wathog or firecat at 60lbs.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice! I need to get in contact with him and see if he wants the RG Wouldnt mind havin an extra huntin bow.

Derek
Old 04-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi, Jeff:

Thought you might post this here too. At least here, it won't be on page 4 in a few hours.

Nice bow. I'd vote for black and tan strings, but I'm not into all that fluorescent stuff, only fletching.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Impressive report--Thanks,now i want one[:@]
Old 04-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks everyone- I'm really impressed- this is the first Martin I've had in a long time that reminded of the really good stuff they were making in the 90s.

Last night the shop owners and I were discussing Martin as a company, and they both felt the same as I have- that Martin def lost it's way for several years. The owners did say that for 08 they started to turn themselves around and had a stronger lineup than in years previous. Apparently 2008 was Martin's best year ever, and Terry told me in our conversations that sales are already up 20% from08! ! I think that little Alien is the bulk of it.

I had this discussion previously with my friends at the shop- I believe this is our economy at work -Martin has always occupied a very attractive price point. I'd suspect used, last year/leftover models, and reasonably priced bows are the majority of sales for 09 barring a few companies that are bucking the trend (Hoyt, e.g.). I have not paid full price for any of the bows I bought this year due to my relationship with the shop owners-I got them at a generous discount. Otherwise I would NOT have been buying these $850-$900 bows. Prices, IMO have gotten out of hand- I was flabbergasted when I started shopping again and I think manufacturers will need to address this as 09 progresses, if they have not already. My local shop is one of the most successful in the country with 4 locations and whispers of more expansion- and barring the incredible Alphamax sales, I'm seeing an influx of more "mid priced" bows on the shelves- when historically this has not been the case.

Sorry...I love analyzing the business aspect of this industry.

Derek, Terry was (not surprisingly) looking for US axes- Gibson, MIA Fender, etc.

Jeff- Thanks! Saw your post on AT too- so whats this mutt you are building now?

Old 04-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldnt give away the LP for nothin, so he can have his bow I wouldnt mind havin one of those bows tho...

Derek
Old 04-12-2009, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drockw

I wouldnt give away the LP for nothin, so he can have his bow I wouldnt mind havin one of those bows tho...

Derek
I've had probably 16 or 17 Gibson and MIJ Clone Les Pauls over the years, and def No bow is worth a Les Paul (well..unless we are talking Chinese Epiphone)

but maybe a Compound, and that new bamboo longbow, and full accessories, and....

Quick Reply: UPS brought me Black Death today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.