Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 ?? for the "both" eyes open guys >

?? for the "both" eyes open guys

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

?? for the "both" eyes open guys

Old 04-14-2009, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ?? for the "both" eyes open guys

I will keep trying, like I said, I do hit where I want, it just takes some getting used to.
Thanks
Dandbuck
Old 04-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: dandbuck

ORIGINAL: BruceW63

A Verifier peep and lens from Specialty Archery has solved the "haze" problem for me.
So with that you use both eyes open? i did look into those a while back when i switched to a smaller sight pin, but then it was not an issue. ARGH I'm so confused!!
Dandbuck
yes I shoot with both eyes open. I also have astigmatism; I do wear contact lenses for my nearsightedness and have to compromise on the correction strength. If I totally correct my "far vision" then I have to wear reading glasses for up close, and that bothers me. It also makes the pins even more blurry. So my lenses are about a notch and a half below what's ideal. All I can say is, the verifier lens cured my problems.

If you are wearing glasses, a verifier may or may not work; it may or may not even be necessary if you have specially-ground lenses. As you probably know already, a regular eyeglass lens is designed for looking straight-ahead with, not the corner-of-the-eye looks that an archer needs. So to give corrected vision past the bridge of your nose, they shape the correction into that part of the lens, too.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

I spent the first two years bowhunting and shooting 3D with one eye open... I then read about shooting with both eyes open here, and decided to try it..

Let me say the offseason that year when i started with both eyes open sucked. I rem getting mad cause i couldnt hit where I wanted, and was having troube like you are.I also use a #1 clairfier on my peep, and a scope for 3d.. I believe i lost some arrows during the 3d shoots.

After the first month or two (I was shooting at least 50 arrows a night, and doing 3D shoots on sat and sun) I realized i was getting better. By the time the month before deer season came, I realized I was shooting 30-40 points better at 3D shoots, hitting the 12 alot more.Then deer season came, I went the first 4 days not seeing anything, then the next weekend, I had a 7 point walk out into a field on my left. not having any markers in the field, I pulled up, and then realized I was starting to close my left eye.... i went ahead and opened it, and then released. I got a direct hit on the buck(probably my best shot to date) and he went down about 45 yrds away I believe that the both eyes open theory worked, and that if i had shot him one eyed, i probably would have shot a little high, but thats my opinion..

It takes work bro, but keep it up, i am glad I spent the 6-7 month frustation of doing it now, and wont go back!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

This is from my personal experience I'm by no means an expert.I too started out closing my left I and then decided to try the 2 open style,and like you I had trouble with it at first,for me the answer was to stop trying to focus on both the target and my pin and just focus at a spot on the target and my pin would be a blur,my pin is still a blur but my groups have tightened up and I can see my arrow in flight most of the time.What really worked for me was to focus on the target before drawing my bow and holding that focus through the draw until I was anvhored solid,then I would look through my peep and I would be right on target,worked for me.Hope it helps.Just keep shooting.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: treboryerf

This is from my personal experience I'm by no means an expert.I too started out closing my left I and then decided to try the 2 open style,and like you I had trouble with it at first,for me the answer was to stop trying to focus on both the target and my pin and just focus at a spot on the target and my pin would be a blur,my pin is still a blur but my groups have tightened up and I can see my arrow in flight most of the time.What really worked for me was to focus on the target before drawing my bow and holding that focus through the draw until I was anvhored solid,then I would look through my peep and I would be right on target,worked for me.Hope it helps.Just keep shooting.
VERY GOOD! That is right on target with what most would consider the proper process. Regardless of if you close your other eye or not, this is the way to do it If you are doing it all right, even with your other eye open, it really just blurrs out and it has no dominence anyways. Like i said earlier, sometimes if i pay attention in certain lighting types i notice that i squint my left eye more or less.

Derek
Old 05-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Ok, an update is needed. i shot wuite a bit and got "used" to it. Couple weeks ago, took to the woods and took my turkey with both eyes open. It worked very well, felt natural by then, and I was able to "look" at all the hens so as not to get busted by them.
Thanks guys
Dandbuck
Old 05-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dandbuck

Ok, an update is needed. i shot wuite a bit and got "used" to it. Couple weeks ago, took to the woods and took my turkey with both eyes open. It worked very well, felt natural by then, and I was able to "look" at all the hens so as not to get busted by them.
Thanks guys
Dandbuck
Thats great! It definately helps for hunting.