Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 A little help please >

A little help please

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

A little help please

Old 04-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default A little help please

Due to scar tissue in my eye I've become near sighted, I hate wearing glasses hunting and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for sights that would bring the target in clearer out around 20 to 30 yards. thanks for any input
Old 04-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: A little help please

i dont know if it will help any butHHA has a magnifiying lense for their single pin sight. its only 4X but it may be just enough to help.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are a variety of options available.

First, there are several sights that are adaptable with lenses ranging from 2x to 6x and probably even higher.But that may or may not be the answer. Scopes, sights for scopes and lenses are big money, and there is no point spending it if that isn't going to fix anything.

The first thing I would try is a verifier. You'll need a special peep sight that is made by Specialty Archery Products. They come in a variety of sizes. The inside of the peep housing is threaded, so you can screw in a host of different lenses or just simply apatures to suit your eye sight. A SAP peep sight runs about $25, and verifiers (which come in many different powers/clarities just like eye glasses do) typically will set you back $30.

What a verifyer does is allow you to focus clearly on BOTH the target and your sight pins. Imagine making the image 2-D instead of 3-D. The target sometimes appears to be a bit farther away with verifyers, but it is crystal clear. You just have to try a couple different colors (which is how they specify which lens is which power) and see what works best.

Now, the other option for screw-in apature lenses coincide with scopes... and those are clarifiers. When you use a lens in your sight, the target is going to apear fuzzy... sort of likereading something through a magnifying glass held too far away from the page. The clarifier works are the second part of that system to bring the whole picture back into focus, and at 20 yards with a 6x scope I can read the date on a quarter. It is definately not something I would really want for hunting.... I'd probably consider a 2x if the verifier doesn't work for you.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

The shot placement is suspect, but this is pretty much exactly what you might expect tosee when you find the right verifyer for you. Ordinarily, you'd either focus on your target (which is what I do) and you're pins will appear fuzzy... or you'll focus on your pin and your target will be only a rough outline (like the way you shoot a rifle with iron sights).

This is how most of us see our target when shooting... clear target.... fuzzy pins.

This is exactly how it looks (to me anyway) when you have the proper verifer installed.

I can tell you this much too.... that if you are wearing glasses, they aren't going to work with a verifier. Some shooters that are near sighted can use them..... others can't. Thats why you just have to experiment and see what works.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great info for the man SC

Derek
Old 04-08-2009, 03:13 AM
Fork Horn

Swamp Collie, great info! I appreciate the help. I will give the verifier a try. Thanks again
Old 04-08-2009, 05:07 AM

One other point to add to SC's great advice.

Use an adjustable Dovetail sight bar. These are sights that have an adjustable distance (closer or further) from the riser, basically extending the focal length. This actually may be all you need to fix the problem, if not they may make a lower power varifier work correctly.

Toxonics and SPott Hogg are the two companies that come to mind quickly. Cobra makes some short ones, but not really enough to make a big difference. When I shot the circuit I had a custom made bar that I attached my sights to. I had 20" of adjustability and that is how I was able to shoot without my glasses. I am nearsighted and have astigmatism of my right eye, that makes it focus at a different focal length.

Anyway, just thought this may help you bring things into focus. Now, this alone won't give you the clarity that lenses may, but I don't want lenses or a peep evenon on my hunting rigs and it gave me "enough" clarity to shoot just fine without a peep. Experimenting wth the distance from the eye to the sightis huge when dealing with this problem.

Lastly, and importantly....this will add clarity ONLY to the pins, not the target. If target clarity is the only issue then the SAS is what you will need.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:13 AM

nice info swamp - i just screwed my left eye up monday,which has left me with little sight in my left eye. (im a lefty) so this is bad. sounds like ill be experementing with these types of things once i heal up - got any links ?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

Dry Ridge,
My problem is focusing on the target not the pins, I can see the pins fine. What is the SAS you mentioned?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Spike

So which way is a better way to do: focus on target or focus on pins?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.