Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Paper tuning?

Old 03-28-2009, 09:46 AM

Default Paper tuning?

Does it matter whether or not the paper is level with the bow or on the ground when you are shooting through the paper? I have always done it with the paper about shoulder to head level, but im about to tune my new bow and the only way i can right now is to use a target that sits about a foot off the ground. I was just curious if that will affect my tares. Thanks for any input.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:48 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Paper tuning?

It shouldn't matter but most of the time it does. If a person has a good form, an the arrow is perpendicular with torso, same as if the paper was eye level, then it won't matter. But for most of us, it makes it harder to get an arrow off well.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't even mess with paper tuning. Get the bow semi-zero'd in at 20yds, and then walk it back, and then screw on some BH's and BH tune. Get the BH's hitting at same or very near same point of impact as FP, and call it done. But I watched a guy in a shop trying to help a guy paper tune, and the shooter was about 6'4", and shooting downward, and they couldn't get a good tear to save their lives. Looking at the angle the guy was shooting the paper at, it seemed pretty obvious to me why.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just set the target on top of something else to get upa bit.....
Old 03-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never paper tune and never will
Old 03-29-2009, 07:49 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: killzonearchery

I never paper tune and never will
But are you going to answer the guy on his question? Or are you just wanting all of us here on HNI know you do not want to papertune?

Old 03-29-2009, 11:04 PM

Lol thanks killzone for the input. that helps me tons. yea southdakotai havethought about setting the paper on something to bring it up but where i have to shoot the hay bale sits on the ground so there wont be any backstop. guess i will have to think of something so i can get my bow dialed in. thanks for your inputs.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

I don't even mess with paper tuning. Get the bow semi-zero'd in at 20yds, and then walk it back, and then screw on some BH's and BH tune. Get the BH's hitting at same or very near same point of impact as FP, and call it done. But I watched a guy in a shop trying to help a guy paper tune, and the shooter was about 6'4", and shooting downward, and they couldn't get a good tear to save their lives. Looking at the angle the guy was shooting the paper at, it seemed pretty obvious to me why.
I agree Doug!

IMHO Paper tuning is pretty much a waste of valuable time

Dan
Old 03-31-2009, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I set up a bow this weekend, then paper tuned it. Then I put a broadhead on one arrow and left a FP on the other. They hit side by side at 35 yards. Didn't feel like I wasted my time . How does BH tuning work out if you only have 10-15 yds to shoot in? When a personbuys a "tuned" bow from a pro shop or has a pro shop tune their bow for them how do you think the pro shop tunes the bow? How many bowhunters %-wise actually tune their own bow? Better yet how many bowhunters even care about a tuned bow? I would rather a guy paper tune than not at all and I certainly won't tell him he's wasting his time.

A guy asks a paper tuning question and, instead of answering the question, people tell him he is wasting his time. I can imagine what would happen if a guy asked about BH tuning andsome folkstold him he was wasting his time LOL.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

I set up a bow this weekend, then paper tuned it. Then I put a broadhead on one arrow and left a FP on the other. They hit side by side at 35 yards. Didn't feel like I wasted my time . How does BH tuning work out if you only have 10-15 yds to shoot in? When a personbuys a "tuned" bow from a pro shop or has a pro shop tune their bow for them how do you think the pro shop tunes the bow? How many bowhunters %-wise actually tune their own bow? Better yet how many bowhunters even care about a tuned bow? I would rather a guy paper tune than not at all and I certainly won't tell him he's wasting his time.

A guy asks a paper tuning question and, instead of answering the question, people tell him he is wasting his time. I can imagine what would happen if a guy asked about BH tuning andsome folkstold him he was wasting his time LOL.
A little testy there Bruce, I see your point though, if you don't have 50yds to shoot or even 30 will work, then paper-tuning is great option, but I just know the LOTS of guys paper tune, then end up moving things a little to get BH's where they need them. If that's the case, then it seems that you might as well just BH tune if you have the space available to do it. Plus, I think BH tuning is a touch easier as long as you have the arrow spined right.

Quick Reply: Paper tuning?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.