Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Paper tuning?

Old 03-31-2009, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Paper tuning?

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

I set up a bow this weekend, then paper tuned it. Then I put a broadhead on one arrow and left a FP on the other. They hit side by side at 35 yards. Didn't feel like I wasted my time . How does BH tuning work out if you only have 10-15 yds to shoot in? When a personbuys a "tuned" bow from a pro shop or has a pro shop tune their bow for them how do you think the pro shop tunes the bow? How many bowhunters %-wise actually tune their own bow? Better yet how many bowhunters even care about a tuned bow? I would rather a guy paper tune than not at all and I certainly won't tell him he's wasting his time.

A guy asks a paper tuning question and, instead of answering the question, people tell him he is wasting his time. I can imagine what would happen if a guy asked about BH tuning andsome folkstold him he was wasting his time LOL.
A little testy there Bruce, I see your point though, if you don't have 50yds to shoot or even 30 will work, then paper-tuning is great option, but I just know the LOTS of guys paper tune, then end up moving things a little to get BH's where they need them. If that's the case, then it seems that you might as well just BH tune if you have the space available to do it. Plus, I think BH tuning is a touch easier as long as you have the arrow spined right.
Exactly Doug!

Bruce, Paper tuning is better than nothing but after tuning and shooting bows for several years I have decided for Me it is a step I can eliminate because most of thetime I had to fine tune anyway.

I have little faith in someone tuning another archers Bow. Like before it is better than not being tuned at all. Just not the Best case scenario

Dan
Old 03-31-2009, 02:08 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

I set up a bow this weekend, then paper tuned it. Then I put a broadhead on one arrow and left a FP on the other. They hit side by side at 35 yards. Didn't feel like I wasted my time . How does BH tuning work out if you only have 10-15 yds to shoot in? When a personbuys a "tuned" bow from a pro shop or has a pro shop tune their bow for them how do you think the pro shop tunes the bow? How many bowhunters %-wise actually tune their own bow? Better yet how many bowhunters even care about a tuned bow? I would rather a guy paper tune than not at all and I certainly won't tell him he's wasting his time.

A guy asks a paper tuning question and, instead of answering the question, people tell him he is wasting his time. I can imagine what would happen if a guy asked about BH tuning andsome folkstold him he was wasting his time LOL.
A little testy there Bruce, I see your point though, if you don't have 50yds to shoot or even 30 will work, then paper-tuning is great option, but I just know the LOTS of guys paper tune, then end up moving things a little to get BH's where they need them. If that's the case, then it seems that you might as well just BH tune if you have the space available to do it. Plus, I think BH tuning is a touch easier as long as you have the arrow spined right.
Exactly Doug!

Bruce, Paper tuning is better than nothing but after tuning and shooting bows for several years I have decided for Me it is a step I can eliminate because most of thetime I had to fine tune anyway.

I have little faith in someone tuning another archers Bow. Like before it is better than not being tuned at all. Just not the Best case scenario

Dan
I hear ya Dan. And I agree. I prefer bare shaft. Or long range BH after bare shaft. But you see that doesn't answer the man's question.

But as you have pointed out to me on numerious occassions, not everyone is as critical or as you said once "care" about every little detail as I. Some folks, just want to hit the vitals of a deer at 20 yards. Not win the triple crown.

So what doesn't make sense is why very few people have taken to the time to actually answer the question. It seems everyone just wants to tell people how they tune.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

BC, if a guy asks me what gradegasoline to run in his diesel pickup, and I told him not run gas in it. I wouldn't be answering his question directly either.[8D]

O Yeah! If you feel you must, shoot into the paper at a 90 degree angle............................................. ........

since you already know my opinion of paper tuning that's all folks

Dan
Old 03-31-2009, 05:29 PM
bigcountry

BC, if a guy asks me what gradegasoline to run in his diesel pickup, and I told him not run gas in it. I wouldn't be answering his question directly either.[8D]

O Yeah! If you feel you must, shoot into the paper at a 90 degree angle............................................. ........

since you already know my opinion of paper tuning that's all folks

Dan
Quite a bit different question. If you can't understand it, then I am not sure you can understand any tuning. See, you can't run a diesel truck on gasoline, at least very long. But if you can't go out and paper tune a bow and be able to kill a deer, then you got some serious problems. Big difference.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

You're Right BC I know nothing about tuningLMBO!!

You can't run a Diesel truck on Gas?[8D]

No Crap!! I guess that's why I wouldn't have told him what grade gas to burn in it.

IMHO paper tuning is not a necessary step. If it's all that then you'd be done right? I can getclose enough to do the real tuning setting up with lasers and levels or even eyeball for that matter.If anyone wants to paper tune, then have at it. It's a free world.

After you've tuned thousands of bows you might change your mind

Dan
Old 03-31-2009, 06:49 PM
bigcountry

After you've tuned thousands of bows you might change your mind

Dan
Man, I am not sure if you just have a reading comprehension problem or just not very smart. Didn't you see where I agreed, I rarely paper tune either????

But the bottom line, is that was not the man's question.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

BC, I think you are the one who has a comprehension problem.[8D]

If someone asks whether to drive a truck or a car over the cliff. I'm going to tell them to Not drive off the cliff.

So I guess technically I'm not answering their question but if they listen I think they'd be glad in the Long Run.

O Yeah! If you'd actually read all my posts you would see I did answer the question

The ITI button has been pushed I'm out of here

Dan
Old 03-31-2009, 07:01 PM
bigcountry

BC, I think you are the one who has a comprehension problem.[8D]

If someone asks whether to drive a truck or a car over the cliff. I'm going to tell them to Not drive off the cliff.

Dan, this is a archery page. I can't see anyone asking about running gasoline in a diesel truck. Or asking about cars over cliffs. Only an idiot would think they would.

They ask archery questions here.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Man, I am not sure if you just have a reading comprehension problem or just not very smart. Didn't you see where I agreed, I rarely paper tune either????

But the bottom line, is that was not the man's question.
BC,
I see both of your points, I threw out the BH tuning thing in part because I find it easier and less of a PIA to try to do, and you don't need to build a paper stand, buy paper, look at tears time and again before you are able to decide whether your nock up or whatever. And I know quite a few guys who paper tune, then screw BH's on and BH tune, also know a few TARGET archers that use BH tuning to tweak their set-ups vs. using paper. It goes to show that if it's a more precise tuning method, then it might be a better way to go, but if the guy doesn't have a place to do it, then he's stuck punching holes in paper and trying to decipher what they are telling him.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

I guess if your a professional bow tec and have tuned 1000 bows then paper tuning might be a waste of time. I like to shoot through paper to make adjustments on my form, release, etc. I would try to keep the paper the same height. maybe set up some saw horses with a piece of plywood as a table then set a target behind your paper frame and shoot away.

and you can run gas in a diesel truck,( you get a lot of power)but not diesel in a gas truck...LOL

Quick Reply: Paper tuning?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.