One thing thats kind of bugging me as I get on in years is that I REALLY DO NOT enjoy having the shortest arros possible and thus, broadhead blades, all that close to my hand. On my Alphamax which has a very small..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How much does it hang over? >

How much does it hang over?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How much does it hang over?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How much does it hang over?

I like my arrows to be longer. Its hard to do sometimes when you have a gorilla DL like me though My aluminums are about an inch past the shelf. My carbons are pretty close to the rest on my proelite. That was to stiffen them up for 3d tho. I also have 60 gr. tips in them which makes them even stiffer Its really all about whatever works for me. Ive never thought that i may cut my fingers off, but it doesnt look very nice when there is a razor blade 1/2" from your finger lol!

Derek
Old 03-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

You wanna get REAL technical about arrow length, then get GRIV's (George Ryals IV's) first tuning DVD he made where he talks about arrow nodes and cutting the length to capitalize on those...
Old 03-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: drockw

I like my arrows to be longer. Its hard to do sometimes when you have a gorilla DL like me though My aluminums are about an inch past the shelf. My carbons are pretty close to the rest on my proelite. That was to stiffen them up for 3d tho. I also have 60 gr. tips in them which makes them even stiffer Its really all about whatever works for me. Ive never thought that i may cut my fingers off, but it doesnt look very nice when there is a razor blade 1/2" from your finger lol!

Derek

Not too concerned about foc are you?[:-] Hope you don't plan on using them in the wind.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Greg,nodes don't come into play much when using a release and especially when using a loop and release.Worrying about nodes is more for finger shooters and side plunger rest.

Of course,this is assuming PROPER centershot has been obtained.This is yet,another reason not to move an arrow rest out of centershot just to achieve a bullethole when torque or spine issues are occuring.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: drockw

Derek

Not too concerned about foc are you?[:-] Hope you don't plan on using them in the wind.
AA said it was like 16% or something like that. Im not too worried about it b/c they are just budget arrows for flinging down range anyway. I plan on getting some acc's and being done with it here in a few weeks.

Derek
Old 03-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

No way in hell are you shooting arrows the length you shoot at above 10% with 60 grain points.

I am shooting 75 grains up front on 27" shafts that weigh 6.92 per and I am getting 10.5% with 2" feathers.

You need to actually check them and see what you are getting.IMO,outdoors you need around 10% foc.You could probably get by with 9%.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Greg,nodes don't come into play much when using a release and especially when using a loop and release.Worrying about nodes is more for finger shooters and side plunger rest.
Really? Tell that to GRIV... he shoots a loop, release and uses a brite site pro tuner rest, and devotes CONSIDERABLE time to the topic.

Don't shoot the messenger... take it up with George [8D]
Old 03-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Really? Tell that to GRIV... he shoots a loop, release and uses a brite site pro tuner rest, and devotes CONSIDERABLE time to the topic.

Don't shoot the messenger... take it up with George [8D]

Take it up with Easton and their tuning charts.

It does pertain but once you have proper foc, spine and centershot,it is really no longer much of an issue with a release. See my thread.

MUCH harder to establish with fingers.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Spike

i would much rather have my arrows (read broadhead) a bit in front of my fingers all things being equal. i really do not relish the thought of getting nicked or heaven forbid having a arrow with a razor sharp broadhead landing on my hand after a bump in the bush.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have mine right at my rest.