Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 carbon or aluminum? >

carbon or aluminum?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

carbon or aluminum?

Old 04-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: carbon or aluminum?

ORIGINAL: Sniper151

I shoot only aluminum Super Slam's in 2514 with 125 gr. tips. Hunting, target and 3-D. I'm not a fan of carbon arrows.
HaHa I shoot the same arrows for indoors. I got em from Gander for 27 bucks. They are great arrows, especially for that price.

derek
Old 04-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

it is 100 times more derable. It dont bend and they shot way better
Old 04-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cherokee_outfitters

I've always preferred the weight for penetration especially for elk. But i'm new to the carbon world so I really can't say. I know a miss on a target that hits a rock pretty much has the same effect on the arrow, it's a dead soldier. Time will tell for me. I trully don't know but my ole alums were always on the money.
Yeah, I was an ole die hard fart too but the carbons you'll find out that those pins will be tighter because of the speed. Don't worry about k/c, it will be there.

Bobby
Old 04-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

I'm also not a fan of carbon arrows.

Durability: never been an issue for me, an arrow lost in the bush is lost be it carbon or aluminum.

Weight: I prefer heavy, most carbons are made light.

Price: Have you seen the cost of high grade carbon!!! Outrageous!
Old 04-17-2009, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't think Carbon doesn't bend-in effect most of them do.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 121553

ORIGINAL: cherokee_outfitters

I've always preferred the weight for penetration especially for elk. But i'm new to the carbon world so I really can't say. I know a miss on a target that hits a rock pretty much has the same effect on the arrow, it's a dead soldier. Time will tell for me. I trully don't know but my ole alums were always on the money.
Yeah, I was an ole die hard fart too but the carbons you'll find out that those pins will be tighter because of the speed. Don't worry about k/c, it will be there.

Bobby
There is a big difference in KE and momentum/carryingweight... Yesa fast arrow may have a very similar KE ratingto a heavier slow one BUT... KE is measured upon impact. It takes alot less to slow down an 300gr.arrow traveling 300, than it would to stop/slow a 400gr. arrowtraveling @250.

Here is my pro-elite. First is @ 400gr. 60# 30"DL 305fps IBO

Total Arrow Weight:

Bow IBO Speed:

Adjustment for Draw Length:

Adjustment for Draw Weight:

Adjustment for Arrow Weight:

Adjustment for Weight on String:

Calculated Speed:
265 fps

Kinetic Energy:
The second is the same bow figures, but with a 300gr. ibo weight arrow

Total Arrow Weight:

Bow IBO Speed:

Calculated Speed:
299 fps

Kinetic Energy:
ONly 34fps different, but the extra KE + momentum of the heavier set up would be far worth it imo. Finding a nice median is the way to balance speed, but not loose momentum.I would say a 380gr. arrow would be anice setup if i were to hunt deer with that particularbow. Last year was my first year hunting with a bow shooting over 275 (it was shooting about 300 with a mid 300gr. arrow weight) and it was no better for killing deer. 20fps or so isnt worth a pass thru for me...

Total Arrow Weight:

Bow IBO Speed:

Calculated Speed:
272 fps

Kinetic Energy:
Just my .02

Derek
Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

I don't hunt elk, I only hunt deer so mayby this is not applicable, but I have shot dozens of deer over the years with cabon arrows and have never had a problem with Kenetic Energy or pass throughs.. A well placed shot with a sharp head is more important than a fast/light or slow/heavy arrow... We all shot what we are confident in and what we have had sucess with, that's the best way to be....
Old 04-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: odom82

I don't hunt elk, I only hunt deer so mayby this is not applicable, but I have shot dozens of deer over the years with cabon arrows and have never had a problem with Kenetic Energy or pass throughs.. A well placed shot with a sharp head is more important than a fast/light or slow/heavy arrow... We all shot what we are confident in and what we have had sucess with, that's the best way to be....
I completely agree, and wasnt trying to say shoot an aluminum log. But the fact of the matter is what i posted. I hunt with carbons as well.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

I asked an engineer from Easton basically the same question, although with an emphasis on penetration. His reply went something like this.

'Shoot an aluminum arrow at a concrete wall. The arrow will bounce off the wall and land several feet away from the wall. Shoot a carbon arrow with the same mass at the same wall. The carbon arrow will hit the wall and essentially drop down, landing very near the wall.'

The neaning of all that is that the carbon arrow delivered more momentum to the target than the aluminum arrow. The difference being the material of construction. Carbon arrows behave with the properties of carbon, and alluminum arrows behave with the properties of aluminum (imagine that!).
Old 04-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bow_hunter44

I asked an engineer from Easton basically the same question, although with an emphasis on penetration. His reply went something like this.

'Shoot an aluminum arrow at a concrete wall. The arrow will bounce off the wall and land several feet away from the wall. Shoot a carbon arrow with the same mass at the same wall. The carbon arrow will hit the wall and essentially drop down, landing very near the wall.'

The neaning of all that is that the carbon arrow delivered more momentum to the target than the aluminum arrow. The difference being the material of construction. Carbon arrows behave with the properties of carbon, and alluminum arrows behave with the properties of aluminum (imagine that!).
What about a carbon/aluminum arrow like the a/c/c or fmj??? J/k man I got ya lol!

I have seen that whole arrow off of a brick wall[:@] The back of our indoor 3d range is brick and ive sent a few carbons and aluminums into the wall. Ive seen an a/c/c and a radialxweave (that one was my doing) come out undamaged (as far as appearance anyways).

Derek

Quick Reply: carbon or aluminum?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.