Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 carbon or aluminum? >

carbon or aluminum?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

carbon or aluminum?

Old 03-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Spike

Default carbon or aluminum?

Another new guy question. I see that carbon arrows are the norm nowadays, but after looking at specs for comparatively priced aluminum arrows, it looks like you get more uniformity with aluminum for the same price point. That being said, what is the main advantage of carbon over aluminum or vise versa?
Old 03-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: carbon or aluminum?

Carbon will not bend and are overall more durable. The only thing you have to worry about with carbon is splintering if you hit something hard.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:01 AM
Typical Buck

Carbons are also lighter so they help with speed.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:53 AM
bigcountry

I shoot carbons out of my compounds, aluminums and cedar from trad bows.As a longtime fanboy of aluminums, I say go with carbons. alum's are going away slowly but surely. Writing is on the wall. Lots of pro's with aluminums. With alums, you can heat to remove inserts, alum's are much more consistent with spine, alum's are heavier (this is a strength not a weakness). But the business is moving away from em.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing is that aluminum arrows fit a narrower range of draw weight/draw length parameters. You choose a 28" aluminum and it shoots well. Jack up the poundage 5# and you probably need to change to a stiffer arrow. Carbons may allow you to change draw weight by 10-20 lbs and still work. With carbon you don't need to own an arrow straightener.

Spine deviation is an issue with carbon, but is still acceptable for most situations. At least it's good still better than most of us can shoot anyway.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Carbons are definitely the way to go. Buy the best you can afford. There is No better place to spend your money than on good bullets

Dan
Old 04-03-2009, 04:30 AM
Spike

I shot aluminums for a long time and got tired of if you hit something wrong or shot a deer that arrow was done because it would be bent usually. I shot carbons now and I have only broke 2 and one I robin hooded and the other I almost robin hooded I have had a neighbor who shoots the trophy ridge carbons which are good and durable shoot it through a cinder block with only minnor scratches nothing that affects how it flies. It is just a personal preference but yes the industry is moving away from aluminums. Look at Bass Pro Carbon Furries or Cabela's Stalker extreme arrows if you are on a budget but want pretty good carbons
Old 04-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot only aluminum Super Slam's in 2514 with 125 gr. tips. Hunting, target and 3-D. I'm not a fan of carbon arrows.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

I've always preferred the weight for penetration especially for elk. But i'm new to the carbon world so I really can't say. I know a miss on a target that hits a rock pretty much has the same effect on the arrow, it's a dead soldier. Time will tell for me. I trully don't know but my ole alums were always on the money.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cherokee_outfitters

I've always preferred the weight for penetration especially for elk. But i'm new to the carbon world so I really can't say. I know a miss on a target that hits a rock pretty much has the same effect on the arrow, it's a dead soldier. Time will tell for me. I trully don't know but my ole alums were always on the money.
If you're concerned about weight for pentration purposes then look at the different arrows made by manufactuers these days. Not all carbon arrows are light. There are some put out by Gold Tip, Carbon Tech and others that are just as heavy as an aluminum. In this case you retain the kinetic energy and momentum you crave, but have a more durable arrow shaft at the same time.

Quick Reply: carbon or aluminum?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.