Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 biscuit or drop away? >

biscuit or drop away?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

biscuit or drop away?

Old 03-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Spike

Default biscuit or drop away?

I currently have a carolina biscuit rest. I am still fairly new to archery so I'd like some opinions on whether this type of rest affects accuracy. I don't mind changing over to a drop away rest, but not if I'm not going to see any significant improvement in accuracy. Just thought I'd get some opinions as to what the two different rest styles have to offer.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Spike

Default RE: biscuit or drop away?

both kinds of rests will work. it all depends on personal preference. a lot of guys like the whisker biscuit type rests for hunting because of the full containment. i personally like the drop away style rests the best. they are now making drop aways that are full containment as well. but with the biscuit, you could do cartwheels in your treestand and your arrow won't move. a lot of your setup should depend on what makes you most comfortable as a shooter/hunter.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

I switched from a WB to drop-aways mostly due to peer pressure . The WB is a good rest and you only lose 2 - 3 fps in speed . Fletch your arrows with blazer vanes with a dab of glue on the leading edge of the vanes and they will hold up for a long time . There are also a lot of good dropw-away rests on the market .
Old 03-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

^I love your avatar^
Derek
Old 03-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

As a fairly new archer I would recomend that you stick with the biscuit.
They are simple, reliable and just about bullet proof. Get comfortable with your rig, shoot it a lot and at some point in the future, if the urge strikes you, go ahead and try something else.

I know guys that have hunted for lots of years, go on outfitter guided trips and are overall quite accomplished archers, and a bunch of them still use a biscuit.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:50 AM

I've used all types of rests. All of them will work plenty good enough when everything is set up righht.
However . . . With the whisker biscuit, your fletches should be dead straight, no helical. This is a relatively minor difference, but could be substantial . . . so I've gone back to a drop away. I now have fletches with full helical and they spin and shoot straighter noticably at 20+ YARDS.
I'd advise a drop away that has the "pop up" feature, like the Ripcord.
It can be popped up in the up possition to hold the arrow (like the WB), while stalking. I love that feature.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you want to stay with a full containment type non drop away rest you should consider the Octane Hostage Pro. It has all the advantages with none of the troublesome fletching contact.

Dan
Old 03-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is the biscuit accurate- This pic is from Vegas.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

i shot biscuit for years and i was always refletching. switched to a full containment drop away and only time i refletch is when i shot my vanes off
Old 03-22-2009, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think that is one of Jim Despart's targets- looks like his sig. Jim is a machine- I've seen him shoot better than his hoooter shooter does. He runs a one of my shop's four locations. I know he has said his eyes are not what they once were (whose are?) but his form is danged near perfect every single shot.

I think he did that to prove a point (and he was also a WB sales rep at the time, If I'm not mistaken)- and I'm pretty sure he doesn't shoot a biscuit these days.

Shooting spots with 1.5" vanes on a 500 grain arrow with 17% FOC. at 20 yards max with a scope, clarifier, and 7 feet total stabilizer under VERY controlled condition is not the same thing as shooting broadheads in 30 degree weather at 7 AM, out of a treestand on a windy day with a heavy jacket, etc.

Ever seen slow mo vid of what happens to vanes in flight with contact? as mentioned I'd take the Hostage Pro or the Quicktune 360 before a biscuit.

Is biscuit accurate? Of course. Anything repeated exactly the same each shot will be accurate.

Is biscuit forgiving?Not in my book.

Contact=bad

Quick Reply: biscuit or drop away?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.