Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Having trouble with vane glue! >

Having trouble with vane glue!

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Having trouble with vane glue!

Old 03-15-2009, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Having trouble with vane glue!

ORIGINAL: GrtWhtHntr

I don't do anything to the vanes (because i was told that you didn't have to) and the shafts i rub with alcohol and let dry. Thats all i am doing!

I would always clean the base of a vane if they are not pretreated with accelerator.Blazers are not so I would rub it down with denatured alcohol or acetone but clean the residue off with water if using acetone.I actually preferr acetone.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Spike

I had the glue out in a garage with no heat and it froze. I'm wondering if that caused it to go bad!
Going to buy a new tube and keep it in the house!!

Thanks for all the help
Old 03-15-2009, 12:42 PM
N2D

Not arguing with anyone, but I am looking at the instructions for Blazers. It says to scrub shaft with an abrasive cleaner like Ajax, Comet, etc. Scrub with scotch brite pad. Rinse well with Hot running water.

I never did this when I used to use Blazers. I just used Scotch Brite and rinsed, let dry and fletched. I have never had one come off.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:44 PM
N2D

Yes, glue should not be allowed to freeze. Most glues will go bad if it does.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: N2D

Not arguing with anyone, but I am looking at the instructions for Blazers. It says to scrub shaft with an abrasive cleaner like Ajax, Comet, etc. Scrub with scotch brite pad. Rinse well with Hot running water.

I never did this when I used to use Blazers. I just used Scotch Brite and rinsed, let dry and fletched. I have never had one come off.

Hope this helps.
Ed, That will work, but you will have No trouble if you use Denatured Alcohol.

One reason they may say this is many Alcohols leave behind an oil like residue, Not Denatured Alcohol.

Dan
Old 03-15-2009, 02:26 PM
N2D

Dan, that's what I use with feathers and never had a problem with them either. Somewhere along the line I could have sworn that I read that Blazers are treated with something at the bottom and they recommend not using anything other than what I listed above. Guess that's why I never used any with them. I can honestly say that I do not recall ever having a fletching come off whatever process I used. Guess I may have been lucky.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ou must have done something crazy because I have used the same tube for a couple years.

You probably just had glue in the nozzle,clean it out with a toothpick and all is fine.
no im pretty much a fanatic about re- sealing any glue-expoxy or silicon tubes. the fletch tite dried in the tube . the whole tube was hardened. i dont do many arrows a year. i only do 2 or3 dozen arrows a year and it dried out in between 6- months or so. kinda stinks when most of these glues are near 10$ a tube. the goat tuff lasted about 2 years without a problem before it lost its stick properties. i talked to the owner of goat tuff and he explained that all crazy glues go bad after a while and that he wanted to to start dating his glues for freshness. he also told me that if you clean with denatured alcohol to let the shaft dry overnight. it seems that even though the shaft looks dry the alcohol gets into the pores of the surface. my advice if you dont do many arrows a year is to buy the smallest tube and get a fresh one every year.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've also had atube of Fletchtite last at least 2 years.

Dan
Old 03-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use aae max bond and it holds better then any other
Old 03-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

i use the aae fast set,I just clean my arrows well before appling glue,never had any problems with vanes coming off.

Quick Reply: Having trouble with vane glue!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.