Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 3rd Axis necessary? >

3rd Axis necessary?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

3rd Axis necessary?

Old 03-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Default 3rd Axis necessary?

Not unless you shoot 3D I think. And I won't be chasing Elk in the mountains, at least not this season. My 3D shooting consists of only getting ready for deer season, not into it seriously anymore. Thoughts on 3rd Axis adjustability?
Old 03-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 3rd Axis necessary?

The 3rd axis for normal hunting distances and situations is overkill.You covered the areas that it would be an asset.Mountain hunting and 3-d it is a must imo.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

I don't even need a level on a bowsight to be honest, I never use it or at least try not to look at it.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not even sure it's overly necessary for 3D in all honesty. If I put some time into shooting, I maintain my grip, etc, I'm not sure where I'd personally benefit from it. I've shot from elevated positions for so long, it feels natural, and I've never had any issues shooting from an elevated position. The UPHILL now there may be an application, but I've not seen it yet.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your shooting seriously on tough long hilly courses in 3-d,it is an absolute necessity in 3-d,atleast it is if you are wanting to win.

I do use my level when hunting.

The main reason it matters on hilly terrain is you will subconsciously start to align your bow with the terrain and if that terrain is at an angle,you will be off on your shot.Now you start to rely on the bubble to keep your bow level but if your bubble is lying to you,then you are leaning the bow because of the bubble.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

I don't even need a level on a bowsight to be honest, I never use it or at least try not to look at it.
I dont think it is necessarry for distances say... 30 yds and under. But I have noticed differences in my groups at 50-60 yards.

I have actually read of field/fita shooters saying that they cant their bow to fight the crosswinds. I imagine if the breeze was enough they would move their sight to compensate.

Derek
Old 03-05-2009, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

For sights with a level, 3rd axis adjustments will help keep that bubble centered in the level when the bow is tilted forward or backward.
3rd axis adjustments adds to your confidence.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:36 AM
Spike

3rd axis is only for if you are shooting in really steep terrain with sheer angles I think. I am not super sure about this though because I hunt in southern Indiana and Ohio where it is small hills compaired to out west. I have read that it is mainly for steep angled shots, I don't think you will be needing it.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I adjust it because I can and it is there.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im at teh paris, tx ASA shoot right now and the other day noticed that my 3rd axis was soooo far off its not even funny... Too late to change it though. Thats what i get for letting someone else mess with my sight good thing tx isnt too hilly.
\
Derek

Quick Reply: 3rd Axis necessary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.