HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   String turning ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/288036-string-turning.html)

dave37 03-01-2009 11:21 AM

String turning ?

Ive noticed after 10-20 shots i need to keep tweeking my meta peep. it turns about 1/4 turn or so ? its on09 admiral with a d-loop factory string leeches ( or whatever their called ). never expereinced this with a new bow ?also - should i wait to paper tune till i shoot it a bit to let string stretch a bit ? ive seen a few guys suggest this ?

thanks in advance......

walks with a gimp 03-01-2009 04:29 PM

RE: String turning ?

Make sure you have the peep centered in the string with all one color material on one side of the peep with all the other color materian on the other side of the peep.

Greg / MO 03-01-2009 07:18 PM

It also depends on where in the string youi needed your peep to end up to give you proper alignment... if you slide the peep up and down the string after it's inserted into the string, you'll notice that it will turn as it moves along -- because the string is twisted together.

Sometimes that means that your peep ends up in a spot where -- after shooting your string in with 50-100 shots or so -- you'll need to put your bow in a press and add or remove a twist to move your peep so that it's in the position you need it to be. Once you get it right though you shouldn't ever have to move it again.

JeffB 03-02-2009 07:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

.. after shooting your string in with 50-100 shots or so -- you'll need to put your bow in a press and add or remove a twist to move your peep so that it's in the position you need it to be. Once you get it right though you shouldn't ever have to move it again.
This.

IF the string is not settling- def mention it ot the dealer-on occasion some strings-even the best will do that.

FWIW- The string on my Admiral settled in after about 15 shots.

muzzyman88 03-02-2009 09:46 AM

All good advice. I have personally never seen a Bowtech string not settle down after 50-100 shots, but it is possible.

Regardless of the string, I always shoot mine 50-100 shots without a peep to settle them in. Then stick the peep in and see what adjustment needs to be made. As Greg mentioned, you'll probably find that you need to add a twist or two to the string to get it just right. Shoot it a bit and see what happens. It will usually only move a little after this and you can usually compensate for it with your D loop.

walks with a gimp 03-02-2009 03:55 PM

Another tip for new bow owners is when you first take that new bow out of the box, press the bow and find the center of the string. It has only been shot a few times and the string will separate easily where it was made by untwisting the string between your fingers where you want the peep. You can then tie a small piece of string in the center and shoot without a peep to let the string and cables settle in. When you're ready, press the bowand pull that small string to find the center.

dave37 03-02-2009 04:21 PM

All good advice fellas ! put abvout 100 more arrows thru it this evening and it seems to have ( settled in ) nicely. THANKS