It's going to be weird just having this one bow, but I made the right choice in the end- took me a couple bows and alot of shooting with others to figure out exactly what was working for me and what..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Here it is- That One Bow (tm) >

Here it is- That One Bow (tm)

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Here it is- That One Bow (tm)

Old 02-27-2009, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Here it is- That One Bow (tm)

Finally was able to steal my GF's camera for a couple pics It's going to be weird just having this one bow, but I made the right choice in the end- took me a couple bows and alot of shooting with others to figure out exactly what was working for me and what was working against me. Interestingly enough- coming off 4 years or so not shooting, I find that my preferences have changed-not intentionally, but changed nonetheless. My "perceptions" are different- things that I felt used to feel better, or help, have hindered, and vice-versa. Very strange.

I'm going to give the stock strings a bit to see how they hold up-They get mixed reactions from other AM owners- some say this year they are much better than years past, but historically Hoyt strings/cables suck, so we'll see. Still working on arrows-for now the ICS Hunter 400s are proving to group extremely well, so maybe some ICSH Elites. ST EPIC and A/C/Cs are also in mix.

Hopefully in about 7 or 8 months you'll see it again laying on top of a nice buck

Old 02-27-2009, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Here it is- That One Bow (tm)

Jeff, thats a nice looking bow. I still say the Hoyt Alphamax35 is one of the top bows for '09(maybe the best), and in my opinion the best hunting/3D bow Hoyt has built for a few years. The draw was smooth on the one I checked out and I really liked the fact it doesn't have those huge, monster type cams everyone seems to be building[:'(], thus I think helps to contribute to the smooth draw. Plus the one I looked at didn't seem to want to take off like a rocket launcher when you gently letup, but still with plenty of speed when shot. Does it feel that way to you, a little more valley than in past Hoyts?

Congrats and I know you went through pains finding the bow you felt fit you the best.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

well- You have to remember I missed a bunch of model years in bows. I've owned prolly 20 Hoyts over the years (including a bunch of the TEC risers) and the last Hoyt I owned was an X-Tec. Extremely accurate and the original C.5 was a shooter and smooth, but Like all TEC risers and the limb angles Hoyt was using at the time I had some big "feel" issues with the bows- namely recoil, and the weight distribution (feeling that large area of mass/weight behind my bow hand). I did not like that feel at all and the increase in weight of most TEC risers only exaggerated the problem for me.

I did mess around with a Katera and a Katera XL a bit before I got the AM35 and they too had the same issue- heavy/ bulky riser with that more noticable distribution behind the grip.

The Alphamax has totally eliminated those problems- its far lighter, and the weight distribution is different- I don't feel all that bulk behind my bow hand. In addition recoil is drastically reduced. I'm glad Hoyt finally got with the program there.

As for cams- I'm not sure I'd say the valley is wider, I'd say it is more defined than the previous C.5s I'm used to. But it's def not as wide as the GT500 or the Admiral- however it's not super narrow either like an X-Force. I've had Hoyt fans tell me the Z3 cams on the Katera are smoother than the XTR-I'd agree, but the Z3s also had a bit more of that lesser defined valley-which I don't like on a C.5/CPS cos they are more sensiitive to creep than the Binaries are. No matter what bow, I like to be in that "deep hole" valley..not the wide shallow one, if that makes sense.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, I think ya done good! I shot the AM myself and if I was in the market for a new one this year, that would probably be it. Absolutely a killer to shoot.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Youve already gotten rid of the GT500???[&:] Lol!!! Good choice though to say the least. Imo the strings servings are junk[:'(] My bottom cam ate thru the serving in about 500 shots. I put my VT's on there and it never chewed thru... I still have the factory strings if you want em. They are for the #3 cam though.

Derek
Old 02-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff it is odd that you say the AM 35 has a wider valley than the X-Force... I thought that the 35, if different at all.. might of had a bit LESS of a valley than an XForce.. I'llsay this... the two I have shot... if you so much as think about creeping... its going on you.

The AM32, however, had a much much different draw and valley to it.... and I liked it a lot better. I'm a big fan of Hoyt's grips... and if I could/can find an excuse to buy a new bow this year.... it'll be a 32. I beat around the bush with the admiral and even went as far as to order one.... but backed off... the draw.. even at 60#s is just too dang stiff.

I do like the way the 35 sits in the hand... but I'm just not a fan of that near non-existant valley.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff,take the sims string leech off and your fuse string will be MUCH MORE stable.It can cause serious issues.

I set my bow up with factory rigging and the string rotated 180 deg in a few shots.It did seems to settle some at that point but not quite to my liking so I had some of custom strings made.I had issues even then with the string so I removed the leech and the string locked in and hasn't moved in several hundred shots.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also really like the 10" fuse axium,from how you talk about weight distribution,I assume you would too.It puts the weight out front and I much prefer the feel of this.

Another thing you might like to look in to is the rubber 180 grip,I love this grip,especially for a hunting grip.Much warmer than plates and more stable in my hand than the wood and narrower as well.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Spike

Nice bow man. I was wondering what you liked about the AM35 over the AM32? My cousin just bought the 32, but hasn't had the chance to shoot it yet.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Spike

He did shoot one before he bought his, just didn't get to shoot his yet. I don't think he ever shot the AM35 though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.