It's going to be weird just having this one bow, but I made the right choice in the end- took me a couple bows and alot of shooting with others to figure out exactly what was working for me and what..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Here it is- That One Bow (tm) >

Here it is- That One Bow (tm)

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Here it is- That One Bow (tm)

Old 02-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Here it is- That One Bow (tm)

Well I gotta admit- I may have to eat some crow about being "confident" in my choice. Last night I had a devil of a time with this thing. I was shooting the most piss-poor groups @ 20 yards- stringing them up and down, left and right- about 6-8". I'm no Randy Ulmer, but I was wondering what the heck was going on. My dealer saw me out on the range and wondered the same thing-he knew it wasn't like me to be shooting that bad.

So then he shot the bow- same thing- like a 28 Gauge with a 26" vent rib skeet choke barrel. Adjusted cam synch to absolute perfect and rotation was spot-on. Cams rotate freely on the axles. All measurements are on. Shot it through paper (they use wax paper- works GREAT-much better than butcher paper) Bullet holes. Tried a stiffer spine-weaker arrows, different same spine arrows- still wouldn't group. No nock pinch. We thought we had it fairly well narrowed down to the rest and some kind of intermittent/slight contact- started messing with the LimbDriver,increasing spring tension, etc- no help- tried feathers-helped a little.

Took the LD off, and the tech installed a Trophy Taker- some improvement- rougly the groups got cut in half, but to shoot a 3 arrow group touching or close, was tough- too tough- I can do that with very little effort on the GT500 or Admiral, but it took absolutely impeccable form last night and arrows still seemed very intermittent when I know I was making decent shots-scattering around more than grouping together. I finally shot one decent group and by that time I was so frustrated and pissed off I quit shooting- I had been messing with it for about 4 hours. So this week we'll dig further and see what we can find out. Draw length was good and felt fine with the S&S release-same with my other bows- but I'm going to try dropping 1/2" and try a different release next week.

Needless to say, this "long term relationship" has not started out well. I am beyond frustrated right now.[:@][:'(]

If anyone has any other suggestions- please, I'm all ears.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Could be the strings not settling.(remove the leech and see what happens)

Check your site and make sure all is tight.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Could be the strings not settling.(remove the leech and see what happens)

Check your site and make sure all is tight.
Thanks Bro- already checked/did all that

Strings and cables did not move at all last night- I put my own timing marks when I set the bow up intially-It was about one twist out on the bottom cam, and we fixed that right from the beginning- and resynched it perfect it was rock solid after that- peep hasn't moved and A2A/brace height measurements are spot on. And even a twist or two out, historically these C.5s/CPS are not gonna scatter gun like that. Your POI may change, but it will still group.

Same with the sight-forgot to mention that- all tight- one reason I like simple sights with simple adjustments.

I went through my entire bag of tricks last night
Old 02-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

double post
Old 02-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

speaking from experience with my last 3 hoyts (including the alphamax), try shooting it without the one peice grip.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:29 PM

Try this,, you draw and aim while your shop owner trips the trigger
Old 02-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: walks with a gimp

I am 9 times out of 10 the problem, but he has better form than I and he couldn't get it to group consistently either.

Josh, thnx- I was planning on doing that anyway- a bit too bulky/torquey. I tried the 180 grip on a Bone Collecter and thought it too sticky.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:39 PM

Ok then,, shorten the valley and let off..
Old 02-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JeffB

ORIGINAL: walks with a gimp

I am 9 times out of 10 the problem, but he has better form than I and he couldn't get it to group consistently either.

Josh, thnx- I was planning on doing that anyway- a bit too bulky/torquey. I tried the 180 grip on a Bone Collecter and thought it too sticky.

I liked the way the rubber grip sticks in place,no floating around in your hand.I don't have a problem with torque with the rubber grip but I can see where some might.

You said your groups got better after changing the rest.Is it possible that the rest was the problem(or setup) and when you changed it,you fixed the problem but you were too frustrated to shoot consistantly?
Old 02-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a guy shoot a 300 today with one Not me tho

Good luck Jeff, i have nothing to add to help you. Hope it gets better for you.

Derek

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.