Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Dropaway conversation >

Dropaway conversation

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Dropaway conversation

Old 02-27-2009, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dropaway conversation

ORIGINAL: N2D
how can one explain the WB and how unforgiving it is then?
Not TFOX obviously, but unlike the Limb Driver or the whammy, the biscuit is containing the arrow (and forcing it-not giving minor guidance enough to keep things straight) and more importantly it is distorting the hell out of your fletchings- which then have to recover in order to start guiding the arrow correctly instead of guiding properly from the beginning all the way through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwTizMtvKwI

Russ (WWAG) I still have your rest, found it that box of gear I got back- I had mentioned it on another thread, maybe you did not see it, but Trophy Ridge has a rest this year that is pretty much a copy of yours!
Old 02-27-2009, 05:15 AM
N2D

Agreed Jeff, this was an extreme example. However, the concept is the same. It would seem to me that the longer the arrow is on the rest the more time it has to be torqued, or, display/expand shooting form error.

Ed
Old 02-27-2009, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed Jeff, this was an extreme example. However, the concept is the same. It would seem to me that the longer the arrow is on the rest the more time it has to be torqued, or, display/expand shooting form error.

Ed
Yep..there are alot of questions and theories and no cut and dried answers for many of them- hence why I decided to bring the whole conversation and subject up- discussion leads to knowledge, and knowledge is power (and often leads to solution)

Old 02-27-2009, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just to add a tad bit more to this. IMHO I will agree with everyone who has added their view to this thread.
What I would say again, in my view, some rests are more forgiving than others, somerestsrequire more work to tune, etc, etc.
However, it is my opinion the more forgiving a rest or a bow is, the 'less' the shooter will focus on his/her 'form'.On the other hand, ifa bow is less forgiving, the shooter has to practice and concentrate on their form, grip, stance, tension,etc. Thisform focus could and should make the archer a better shooter.I do understand other more casual shooters will pick up a bow and kill their game just as a guys who gives it his all, and there's nothing wrong with that. Kudos to them! Some shooters have more 'natural skill' than others. That's life!
On the other hand a bow that is well tuned, a shooter who practices good form because his bow takes a bit more to perfect, will, down the road due to his technique, improve his overall bow skill ability..as Kodiak Archer once corrected me and said..quote." GOOD practice makes perfect".
It's up to the individual where they want to go, some are happy with a kill, some are happy with a ten ring shotand some are just fanatical...just would not be happy unless they nail the X ring shot after shot!
To each his own...everyone is entitled to their style. Isn't it so?
Old 02-27-2009, 07:45 AM

ORIGINAL: JeffB

how can one explain the WB and how unforgiving it is then?
Not TFOX obviously, but unlike the Limb Driver or the whammy, the biscuit is containing the arrow (and forcing it-not giving minor guidance enough to keep things straight) and more importantly it is distorting the hell out of your fletchings- which then have to recover in order to start guiding the arrow correctly instead of guiding properly from the beginning all the way through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwTizMtvKwI

Russ (WWAG) I still have your rest, found it that box of gear I got back- I had mentioned it on another thread, maybe you did not see it, but Trophy Ridge has a rest this year that is pretty much a copy of yours!
Yes I see that rest! Looks though that it would be easy to have the arrow pop off that small "V" in the launcher. I'd like to try one sometime.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: walks with a gimp

Yes I see that rest! Looks though that it would be easy to have the arrow pop off that small "V" in the launcher. I'd like to try one sometime.
I drew it a few times when the Bear/TR rep was in at my shop showing off all the new goodies- I thought the same thing, but I didn't have any issue with it-at least that night. A cold morning in November may be a different matter!
Old 02-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any rest out there will produce good enough accuracy to kill game at typical hunting distances. Some rests inherently are more forgiving of form breakdown than others. This is where I tend to agree with TFOX in that a drop away that stays up longer will yield the most forgiveness. I was on the other side for the longest time thinking that getting the rest out of the equation early was the best scenerio. If you ever watch a slow motion video of a bow being shot, especially from directly behind the shooter, you'll see that the string doesn't follow a perfectly straight path to brace. Cable pressure and even the torque created from the arrow flexing as it moves forward can alter the string path slightly. Guiding the arrow for as long as possible seems to be the best scenerio.

You won't see too many target shooters using a drop away. Most use a fixed rest with a blade. The blades used come in different thicknesses to accomodate different shaft spines and produce the most forgiving setup.

Hunters are a different story. We usually use big fletching to guide broadheads. The solution is a drop away to get clearence. But, here is the kicker. If you subscribe to the theory that longer is better in terms of guidence, to do this with standard down cable drop aways, you would would have to set the rest up to come up quite early in the draw cycle. This puts a lot of pressure on your cable. That is where these new, "hybrid" drop aways like the Whammy and LD shine. No pressure on the system, longer guidance, and complete fletching clearence.

As I stated before. If you're looking for extreme accuracy and forgiveness, than the new "hybrid" drop aways like the Whammy and LD, IMO, are the best options. This is not to say that any other drop away will not give very good accuracy. I've shot and seen where they do.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

TFOX, I have read and understand what you have stated. It makes sense to me. However, how can one explain the WB and how unforgiving it is then? It's the same concept is it not? I used to shoot one then went to the ultra rest timed to fall within the first inch or so of release. My groups improved instantly. I suppose I was torquing my bow at times to some extent but over all my groups improved even with that in mind. Not trying to argue here, simply trying to put all of this together considering I have different drop away rests.

Derek, I like your #3 theory and believe it is correct for many shooters.

Ed
It has contact after the arrow is released from the string and that contact is fletching contact but my issue with the wb is the bristles are too stiff.It causes arrow kick when fletching passes through them.IMO,a rest should be soft and not restrict the arrows movement(just offer guidance,the Limb Driver is superior in this area).A wb,restricts this natural flow but like Drock stated,as a hunting rest,it is more than adequate but for me,I am way to anal about how I tune to ever put a WB on my bow.

I have taken a WB and set it up to where the tune should be real close with Blazers.There was a bad high tear in paper(regardless of how the cock vane was turned).Changed fletching to feathers and the high tear was gone.[&:]
Old 02-28-2009, 03:59 AM

Interesting thread.
I'm considering a prong style rest (Quicktune) versus a Dropzone.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting thread.
I'm considering a prong style rest (Quicktune) versus a Dropzone.
Thats what I am putting on my Allegiance for the time being, except its an old Doty rest that is as solid as the day I bought it.

Quick Reply: Dropaway conversation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.