Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Spot Hogg Whammy Update....tips. >

Spot Hogg Whammy Update....tips.

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Spot Hogg Whammy Update....tips.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Spot Hogg Whammy Update....tips.

I've been shooting the Whammy for about a month now and think I have a pretty good tune on my bow. So much so I just shot a 588 on a 600 round last night with it on a hunting setup. (Purdy good for me).

I thought I'd pass along some of things I've learned about this rest since setting it up and playing with it.

1. Do not be intimidated by this rest! It sounds complicated, andIMO, Spot Hoggs instructions make it sound way more complicated than it really is.

2. Tie in location on the up cable is easier to locate than the instructions make it out to be. Just draw the bow from a ceiling hook and mark a location about 1 1/2" below where the cables cross. Serve from that point up and stick the pull cord through it.

3. Mount the rest on the bow so that the mounting bar is square and tighten it down. MAKE SURE YOU TIGHTEN IT DOWN REALLY WELL WITH BOTH THE MOUNTING BOLT AND THE LOCKING BOLT. I evidentally didn't and my rest started moving after a few shots. Because the cord is yanking the down on the rest so hard, care must be taken to ensure the rest doesn't move.

4. On Bowtechs, because the berger holes are lower than most, you can get the arrow lower by lowering the prongs all the way and removing the fork tamers that come with it. Put some thin fleece on the prongs and you should be able to cut half the berger hole. You still won't get it low enough to pass through the center of the hole, but it will definitely get you in the area.

5.As for timing the rest. Insert a tiny allen wrench in the hole on the actuater arm, pull down the actuater arm, insert the pull cord through on of the holes (depending on your bow). Now, just pull the cord tight enough to where you are JUST BARELY putting pressure on the bow's cable. Tighten it up, remove the allen wrench from the actuater arm, and draw the bow a couple times to make sure that at full draw, the cord goes slack and the actuater arm is in the full up position.

Some things I've noticed. If you use moleskin on the prongs, you'll burn right through it in short order. I have never had this issue with other drop aways. This tells me the rest is doing exactly as it's supposed to...guiding that arrow for much longer than standard drop aways that fall too fast.

To get your arrow lower, you can also mess with the prongs. Turning them out more can help get a lower arrow.

This rest is a real tack driver. So far, I'm thoroughly impressed with it. And of course, being from Spot Hogg, I doubt you'll break it.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spot Hogg Whammy Update....tips.

This thread has reminded me of another thread I wanted to post...thx
Old 02-26-2009, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

You're pretty much dead on there muzzy . It is indeed a simple rest once you spend the time to sort it out [8D].
As for silencing the launcher arms, I've tried almost everything I can think off, some burn thru faster than others.
However I've found that the Gibbs (GAG) Super Slick prong rest silencers work for quite a long time (and I shoot my bows on a daily basis). They really work very well indeed!
The down side to using them however is, itwill raise your arrow a little 'higher' from the shelf, thus taking it closer to the top of the berger hole. Nevertheless I have not found this to be a problem. The main reason for keeping the arrow closer to the shelf is to reduce the amount of left & right gaps from the target, (torque). Once you can control your torque, getting in the center of the berger is not absolutely necessary.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:58 AM
bigcountry

Good tips. I appreciate it. I think i am temped to buy one and see if i like it.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Good tips. I appreciate it. I think i am temped to buy one and see if i like it.
I am thinking of one also. Its between the Whammy, LD and maybe the new Tripwire.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

i had the whammy on my marquis but didnt like it i now have the limbdriver very nice rest but am waiting on the trip wire it looks like it will fit bowtech and diamonds well but i agree the whammy was easy to set up i just didnt like the issues i had with tuning
Old 02-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ozbowhunter...not rushing to defend the Whammy, but I'm curious as to what tuning issues you had with it. Can you elaborate?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

muzzy when i lowered the the arms to get the arrow lower i wasnt happy with the clearance on the shelf and when i raised them it was to close to the cable guard then there was the issue ith it hitting the riser shelf just to many little things that i agree can be sorted but just wasnt how i wanted it to be

i had a g5 expert which is a great rest with no shelf contact but it put to much tension on the buss cable so far the limbdriver fits most of what i am looking for in a rest but the tripwire looks like it deals with all these issues we will see
Old 02-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

It took me all of about 10 minutes to setup my whammy and 5 of it was serving the cord in.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

tfox was that on a hoyt?? or a bowtech?? it didnt take long to set it up at all i just didnt like the small issues i was having with trying to get it tuned well on the bow for clearance etc its a great rest just didnt suit me

Quick Reply: Spot Hogg Whammy Update....tips.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.