Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 G5 Montec™ Broadheads Thoughts?? >

G5 Montec™ Broadheads Thoughts??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

G5 Montec™ Broadheads Thoughts??

Old 02-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Spike

Default G5 Montec™ Broadheads Thoughts??

Does any one have an opinion on the new 125 gr. G5 Montec™ Broadheads?Like to know how there flight is? Are they consistant out to and past 60 yrds? Leave a good blood trail? Penatration good? Practice blades same as broadheads?

Shooting a Matthews DTX@ 70#
Old 02-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Spike

Default RE: G5 Montec™ Broadheads Thoughts??

Also are the 125 grains strong enough to knock down an elk or moose?
Old 02-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to the forums! I shoot the 125 gr. Montecs I think they fly pretty well. I have only shot one deer with them and there was a great blood trail. The blood trail was really good. Although just like any other BH out there you will have good and bad blood trails with the same head depending on the shot. Out of my bow they flew really well and as long as your bow is tuned you should not have any problems with flight. Now about the whole 60 yd. shot. I know I wouldn't make that kind of shot on an animal and a lot of other guys on this forum will tell you the same but if you feel confident with your shot then more power to you but if you loose an animal on a 60 yd shot I don't want to see a lost my deer thread asking for help locating an animal because a poor shot was made. I'm not sure about their performance on elk or moose but I would assume they would hold up with no problems due to their design although most fixed blade heads today will have no problems with elk and moose due to new technologies. The deer I shot hit two ribs and the ground and would still be shootable if I sharpened the head but since it was my first kill I kept the head on the arrow as a memory.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

The G5 Montec is a good solidly designed broadhead. They fly well from "tuned" bows. You'll probably have to do some tinkering to get them to group with your field pts.Properly spined arrows, the bestyour budget will allow, are a must. I'll assume that because your chosing a non-replaceable blade design that your good with sharpening. They don't come razor sharp so you will have to touch them up before hunting with them. As far as practice heads G5 came out with them in the past year but I honestly have no experience with them. If it was me I would shoot the real thing even if it meant buying two packages of them. I've never had good luck with any practice heads (muzzy, rage, etc.) flying exactly like the real thing.Good Luck!

Dan
Old 02-23-2009, 03:33 AM
Fork Horn

i do not shoot them personally... no cash-> poor college kid. but my brother, cousins, and alot of my buddies shoot them. and love them. they claim great flight, and go elk huntin with them. i have heard very little bad things about this broadhead.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

I have shot the Montecs for the last 5 seasons.
The heads are a quality product, and have plenty of "umph" for any species of large game.

As far as shooting to 60.....any broadhead can be shot accurately to 60 and beyond as long at your bow is tuned, arrows are spined properly, heads are on straight and you do your part.
I have personally shot the Montecs out to 93 yards and was able to hit a caribou sized kill zone at that range every time. Not that I would ever take a shot that long, but after you tag out in camp, you need to do something to kill the hours waiting for the plane to come pick you up.

At this point, I would take any quality fixed blade head. They all will do the job, they all will leave good blood trails, and they can all be made to fly well....albeit not the same, but all can be made to fly well.