Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Guess who bought a Limb Driver >

Guess who bought a Limb Driver

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Guess who bought a Limb Driver

Old 02-26-2009, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Guess who bought a Limb Driver

Swamp,

I'm currently running four of them on my rigs (the Admiral, the Captain, the IceMan, and the Carnivore 31)... and - like Dan -- I've set up a bunch of other ones and haven't found anything easier to set up and tune than the LD's. I think I've had seven of them so far, but no longer have the other three because people begged me to let them go with other bows I've sold.

Couple quick suggesions, if I may: One, put moleskin on the arrow shelf like most people usually do. I don't have anything near that thick neoprene-looking piece Dan has on his (not knocking it) because I'm just an anal stickler about things looking almost factory-perfect. I also cover the forks with moleskin to silence the arrow sliding across them during the draw.

Then, finally, I do as Dan suggested as well; I use Rdhdcharm's BCY d-loop material as my limbdriver cord. Two reasons:One, when I tie the cord around my limb and then pull through the rest and cinch down with the allen screw (the easiest way to set this rest up), it just doesn't move. Ever. And, two... you can buy it in one of those fancy colors to match your new string job.... probably less than five bucks and it'll all look custom to the max!
Old 02-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive never had a problem with my factory cord stretching I think you are a little biased on this thing... Im not trying to promote it, but... I use 3 different rest, and none of them are easier than the LD. currently im using a bodoodle, a spigurelli, and the LD and nothing compares in simplicity and function.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

Use bow string for the pull cord. Get one made up for the right length after you set the rest up. Some string makers out there make a neat setup for that rest, or you can rig up something on your own to.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:39 AM
bigcountry

I am not a fan of the LD either. But I also never had trouble with stretch and easiest to tune than any rest I seen. Not saying you don't, just interested in your problems. Hope to hear more.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Greg! How you been man? Hadn't seen you prowling around in a while.

As I meant to earlier on... here are some pictures of the thing. As you mentioned Greg, I've already got mole skin on the shelf and sight window.

I've got about 8 feet of black BCY that I keep in my archery possibles bag/rolling bow shop. Never know when one of your buddies might have gone to wally world to get his bow set up and need a major overhaul. I've got the stock cord on there now... reckon I can spare a yard or so.

One thing that I did with this cord (that I do with most drop aways) is I ran a flame up and down the cord. You can see it tightening up as you draw the flame down it. It makes it stiffer, and takes a lot of the stretch out of it right from the start. Maybe it isn't stretching and its just my imagination, but it seems different to me every time I look at it.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drockw

Ive never had a problem with my factory cord stretching I think you are a little biased on this thing... Im not trying to promote it, but... I use 3 different rest, and none of them are easier than the LD. currently im using a bodoodle, a spigurelli, and the LD and nothing compares in simplicity and function.
Bias has got nothing to do with this at all. You think I would have spent $50 on the thing if I just wanted to talk trash about it???? No way jack! I got it because I firmly believe there are some advantages to it (especially from a target shooting standpoint), and no body in my area shoots them.... I like to be different, which is why I shoot a High Country, have Orange and Mt. Berry Strings... duck hunt with a golden instead of a lab... and shoot an old Beretta instead of a Benelli. I march to a different beat.

I say again here.....I've yet to get the bow shooting/tuned like I want it to be.... I can't possibly relay 100% of my honest opinion on this thing until I get that far. In the mean while though... there are things so far that I do and don't like about it... having a cord cut my sight picture in half is not OK with me. The perceived difference in cord tension from shot to shot and day to day is not OK with me. The drawing metal sound of the forks.... granted it is a simple fix... is not OK with me. I figured (wrongly) that the rubber shrink tube on the forks would do fine to make this thing hunt ready.... simply not so... and simply not a problem at all.

It is 70 degrees out... I'm going to go shoot the thing some more and see where its at.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Started the fine tuning on the thing tonight. Found another thing I don't like about the LD.... I have a bowmaster press (because it is portable and I'm poor) that I carry with me everywhere. Considering where I work... I see no need in having one at home and one at the office. Anyway.... the LD..... not compatable with the bowmaster.

SO... I took the plastic limb thingy off.... set the cam rotation (wasn't off much... nit picky at best) went back outside and the thing shot like a high school pitcher trying to learn to throw a slider. Now, I'm not Robin Hood... but you put me in my backyard and I'm as comfortable there as anywhere. I can usually bust someones nock from 20 yards if I have 5 shots, and thats with no lens or anything.... I'm certainly good.... not great.... but good. I'll also be the first to throw out a bad result if I pulled or flinched or whatever. But this thing is shooting like 4-5" groups from 20 yards... and I'm probably shooting as solid as I ever do.

So I came inside... took the damn thing off... replaced the cord.... waxed the strings... rechecked the timing.... rechecked the nock height.... put it back on... and I don't know what I did..... but it worked.

First group back outside after the rechecking.... I had to replace a nock. Touch wood... I've never robin hooded a 2512 with uni's and nibbs.... but this one came dang close and I had to file the uni bushing back down because I took a good 1/8" chunk out of it.

I put a Bow Jax on the cable, and I started moving it around trying to get the cord out of my sight picture. I found a way.. but the thing now rolls back into my bow cables... which is totally not cool at all. I slid the thing back up... and I think I found a sweet spot where it stops all the little vibe noise, doesn't roll into the cables, but is still in line with the riser and not over in front of my pins. I waxed the cord up good too.... I don't know why.

I still need to hush the thing up on the draw. That is an easy enough fix though.

As to how it shoots compared to the QAD.... I know this is a fairly hot topic in another thread.... I think it is much more hand critical and shot critical. When I'd pull one.... she'd miss good.... a couple inches.... where with the QAD I could get away with it. I can tense my left thumb up on thebow/grip and make the bow shoot three inches to the right. I definately think this thing will force me to be a better shooter... which is a good thing in the end. I don't know about them being more forgiving.... but I've only had the thing a week and don't have but 150 arrows or so over it. When I'm on, its on.... if I'm off.... look out.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry about the and the biased comment... I meant it more as a joke but my words certainly didnt show that. I know your a straight guy and will put the thing to the test.

As far as the cord coming into yuour sight picture... I have never ran into that problem. Maybe its the difference in bows??? Mine always seem to move teh right way lol! Maybe try and anchor it down at the bottom different to get it outta the way. You could always tie it in to theup cable though
Old 02-27-2009, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Swamper!

Yeah, I've probably been absent from this place here recently more than at any time in the last decade or so ... just a culmination of a couple things, really: board burnout and site problems beingamong them but probably more than anything is my new-found passion in predator trapping. I've spent most of my time over the past six months on the big trapping boards. I still check in fom time to time, and the time away has done me good.

Something you may want to do to help your concerns with putting it in the Bowmaster press...

I don't use Vapor Trail's attachment devices they include with the Limbdriver anymore. I just tie the cord around the limb using a d-loop knot, like the limb is the string and I'm tying on my regular d-loop. I do put a half-hitch around it once to make sure the knot doesn't pull through as I did a couple without doing that and the holding knot just looked too precarious to me.

Anyway... doing it that way now I can get my Limbdriver cord to fall off the SIDE of the limb and it's usually right on top of the corresponding hole for the Limbdriver, offering a cord that travels straight up and down instead of at an angle going up into the center of your top limb(s). Just in case you're wondering, I did this on my solid-limb Carni 31 as well.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drockw

Sorry about the and the biased comment... I meant it more as a joke but my words certainly didnt show that. I know your a straight guy and will put the thing to the test.

As far as the cord coming into yuour sight picture... I have never ran into that problem. Maybe its the difference in bows??? Mine always seem to move teh right way lol! Maybe try and anchor it down at the bottom different to get it outta the way. You could always tie it in to theup cable though
I think it was the bowjax in hind sight. I had to monkey with the position on it a lot in order to get the thing to roll correctly.... maybe thats why LD doesn't come with one in the first place. But it does help and if nothing else it looks good.

Quick Reply: Guess who bought a Limb Driver

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.