Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Pick a bow....any bow...thing is.. >

Pick a bow....any bow...thing is..

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Pick a bow....any bow...thing is..

Old 02-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pick a bow....any bow...thing is..

You need to keep it for a couple of years without buying any others.

I'm sure many people here do just that-buy a new bow every few years, sometimes 5 plus years. My good friend back home is like that/ He generally keeps a bow for about 6-8 years.

Myself on the other hand, as many of you know very well, generally pick up at least 2 or 3 through the year and then whittle my choice down as hunting season nears. There's been years when I've tried 5 or 6. It's more because I'm OCD than anything truly wrong with any of the bows I try . I'm also the same way with guitars.

So if you HAD to pick a bow tomorrow, based on performance & comfort, accuracy & forgiveness, and rock solid reliability,, shot day in and day out for the next couple of years and if it had issues you'd just have to have a solid company and warranty backing you and get the bow fixed- what would you choose?

I'm in this situation-voluntarily- me and my wonderful GF (whom I'm planning on marrying) recently had a big talk about the big things in life we want for our future-We both have areas where we could cut down on excessive, non neccessary spending- so basically my end of the deal is this scenario with choosing that one bow.

Frankly, even though I love both of them for alot of reasons, I'd choose neither of the bows I own right now (BowTech Admiral, and Elite GT-500) taking every single factor into consideration.

I've been thinking about this for a few days, and pretty much have made a decision, but what would YOU choose were you in the same sitch?
Old 02-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pick a a bow....any bow...thing is..

I tend to keep things for a while, 4-5 yrs. on bows. I've had my Allegiance for 3 now and I started looking about 2 months ago and so far I'm sticking with my Allegiance. I think I'll just replace the string/cables and upgrade a few of my accessories and it should be good for another 100,000 miles.

Dan
Old 02-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear that Jeff. I would be willing to bet that you are gonna get alot of guys on this board that will tell you that the Bowtech Allegiance is "that" bow that you speak of. I don't have alot of experience with the bow other that shooting a friends. That said, I do currently have an 09 Air Raid on order and do think that it has the potential to be "that" bow for me. ASking me that question today, I would definately say that I could do what you speak of with my current bow, it's a 101st Airboarne by Bowtech. It just fits. I have and could, hunt and target shoot well with others but this bow just fits. It will be in the stable for possibly as long as your time frame requires, but I don't plan on having to leave it lonely. When I had the "talk" that you had with my wife, soon to be mother of my first born, we came to a compromise. Two bows are reasonable, three is excessive for me right now. I can live with that.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

heh..well it wasn't one of THOSE talks....we both are really good about leaving each other's expenditures alone as long as neccessary things are taken care of (you should see how many pairs of shoes she has, last guesstimate we did was approaching 100 )

I actually offered up the "one bow" thing as my part of the bargain (among other things non archery related I could cut out). I've never had the *need* for more than one, especially considering I am not a spot or 3D guy and don't need a different setup than for hunting. And if something were to happen in season- I know my shop would have a loaner for me in a heartbeat if it was something that could not be fixed immediately.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:00 PM

Well I'm thinking about the same thing, getting back to sanity That said, I'm keeping my Admiral for many a year to come and will not be tempted by any other new development in compound bow technology.. Oh sure I'll look,, probably fondle,,, , maybe evena shot or two but my money will be going to pay off the mortgage and work the land to make it better before I leave it
Old 02-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Spike

i will be keeping my bow until something happens to it that warranty won't pay for. If i had to pick a bow i would probably get the x force dream season.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just did it, and got an 08 Ally.
I keep my bows on avg 5yrs....this one might be longer if it holds up the way I expect.

Wise choice you are making Jeff....too many folks waste so much money with this hobby (and many others) by having to keep up with the jones, so to speak.

Mike
Old 02-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

I've kept and hunted with my Patriot for 3 seasons and love that bow. My excuse for buying another bow was to change to a 50-60 lb. bow when I could have just ordered new limbs, but I also wanted to try something different plus giving my son the Patriot is an upgrade for him.

Just bought that '08 Allegiance and haven't set it up yet, but now I'm thinking the Air Raid is THE bow, and now I've decided I best keep the Alley and give it a chance. I have gotten by with one bow for many years now and will probably do the same for the next few years.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd just go out to the shop and build me another one

I have 2 compounds left that I have not shot for a year and I will probably never shoot them again specially the way my neck is, it just hurts too much.

But that said I can shoot my trad bows painlessly all day.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Funny Jeff, same here. I'd say my wife is near 75 pair.

Quick Reply: Pick a bow....any bow...thing is..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.