Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Binary timing using dropaway attached to downward cable >

Binary timing using dropaway attached to downward cable

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Binary timing using dropaway attached to downward cable

Old 02-13-2009, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Default Binary timing using dropaway attached to downward cable

I am sure this has been explained many times before but please indulge me. I really want to put a Schaffer dropaway rest on my Allegiance. Reason being I had a Schaffer before and loved it, but used it on my one cam bow. Lets say I put on the Schaffer and tie the cord to my bottom cable. Like most, I always try to time the dropaway so its at the full up postion just before full draw.......usually 1" or less. Questions:

How will this affect the timing on my binary cam bow?
If there are any effects, what can I do to restore the timing of the binary cams?

If it does indeed affect letoff that doesn't bother me, as long as the letoff isn't a huge amount. Accuracy is above all in my quest. Just wondering what effects and if any, exactly what cures.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Binary timing using dropaway attached to downward cable

You'll never know until you get the thing on there. I have seen them do little of nothing and I have noticed with some a substantial increase... or should I just say change in the way the bow draws.

I will warn againest this though.... schaffers and binarys quite often don't go together very well. Even when you can handle the draw weight, usually with binarys there is a strong build up of weight jsut before it dumps off into the valley. No matter how carefully you draw that bow sometimes, because that rest is coming up right at that peak... you can occasionally get the diving board effect and fling your arrow right off your rest.

I tell you this only because it happened to me.... it is/was a $100 mistake. I don't want to take anything away from the schaffer because it is an awesome rest and one of the quietest around.... but for me with binary cams I just couldn't make it practical. On single cams it is one of the best.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

You'll never know until you get the thing on there. I have seen them do little of nothing and I have noticed with some a substantial increase... or should I just say change in the way the bow draws.

I will warn againest this though.... schaffers and binarys quite often don't go together very well. Even when you can handle the draw weight, usually with binarys there is a strong build up of weight jsut before it dumps off into the valley. No matter how carefully you draw that bow sometimes, because that rest is coming up right at that peak... you can occasionally get the diving board effect and fling your arrow right off your rest.

I tell you this only because it happened to me.... it is/was a $100 mistake. I don't want to take anything away from the schaffer because it is an awesome rest and one of the quietest around.... but for me with binary cams I just couldn't make it practical. On single cams it is one of the best.
X2

I do think the Limb Driver is the Best choice out there. If they weren't available my second choice would be the Whammy.

Dan
Old 02-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Couger, here is the idea. I'm by no means the authority or know all on this, but I can tell you my expereinces and what I learned from some very knowledgable people.

Binary cam bows are very cable sensitive. If you setup a fall away to stay up for as long as possible to guide the arrow, which most shooters recommend, it will pull quite a bit on that cable at full draw and actually create a "shortening" effect. So in you have to take a twist or two out of that cable to keep your cams in synch. What everyone found was that if you didn't do this, you actually lose let off because the cam is retarded slightly from the top cam.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

Couger, here is the idea. I'm by no means the authority or know all on this, but I can tell you my expereinces and what I learned from some very knowledgable people.

Binary cam bows are very cable sensitive. If you setup a fall away to stay up for as long as possible to guide the arrow, which most shooters recommend, it will pull quite a bit on that cable at full draw and actually create a "shortening" effect. So in you have to take a twist or two out of that cable to keep your cams in synch. What everyone found was that if you didn't do this, you actually lose let off because the cam is retarded slightly from the top cam.

Hope this makes sense.
That's a pretty clear explanation!

Dan
Old 02-13-2009, 09:40 AM

I've had some that work fine without altering the cable tension at all and others that I just had to give up on the drop away all together and go to the Whisker Bisquit even within the same model. You'll never know until you try. Best of luck. I know my Old Glory and QAD combo was responsible for at least a couple of these grey hairs!
Old 02-13-2009, 09:56 AM
bigcountry

What I find, is its best to retime or resync your binary cams after you install your drop away, Seems to work like a champ for me.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Ok will not try the Schaffer. Dan or anyone that has knowledge or shot one.....about the new BT Tripwire rest, it attaches to the upward cable as does the Whammy? When will the Tripwire be available?

Whisker Biskquit......no way[:'(].

Anyone tried the new Freedom rest by NAP? Looks interesting but I don't see any way of controlling drop timing or drop traveling speed.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Ok will not try the Schaffer. Dan or anyone that has knowledge or shot one.....about the new BT Tripwire rest, it attaches to the upward cable as does the Whammy? When will the Tripwire be available?

Whisker Biskquit......no way[:'(].

Anyone tried the new Freedom rest by NAP? Looks interesting but I don't see any way of controlling drop timing or drop traveling speed.
Coug, whatever I told you on the Trip wire would probably be wrong so I will just[:-]

Dan
Old 02-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Tripwire cord attaches to the down cable. It does not put tension on the cable once the rest is cocked so it won't have any adverse effect on draw weight, cam timing, etc.

Quick Reply: Binary timing using dropaway attached to downward cable

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.