Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow Spine- watch this vid >

Arrow Spine- watch this vid

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Spine- watch this vid

Old 02-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Arrow Spine- watch this vid

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1391584900/bclid1404883752/bctid1348305497

Good video- while the latter part is something of a commercial for CX, the info is spot-on.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow Spine- watch this vid

Jeff, those tech tips are usually aired during the North American Whitetail shows, I think. All good reviews.
I must admit once again the video trigger my need to get myself a arrow spine tester. One of the tools I don't have myself, unfortunately.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting video. The deflection measured with the standard weight makes sense. When they were rotating the shaft against the plunger (to check straightness I'm assuming), is that done without the standard weight attached?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

When they were rotating the shaft against the plunger (to check straightness I'm assuming), is that done without the standard weight attached?
You do it without the weight to check straightness. Spin the shaft with the weight on to check variations in stiffness at different spots on the shaft. Carbons almost always have variations around the shaft. When I refletch carbons, I check to find the stiffest part of each shaft and that's the side where the index fletch goes.

Hi, Jeff.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

When they were rotating the shaft against the plunger (to check straightness I'm assuming), is that done without the standard weight attached?
You do it without the weight to check straightness. Spin the shaft with the weight on to check variations in stiffness at different spots on the shaft. Carbons almost always have variations around the shaft. When I refletch carbons, I check to find the stiffest part of each shaft and that's the side where the index fletch goes.

Hi, Jeff.
Oh so you attach the weight and spin at various points on the shaft to find the variations? So you just move the shaft up or down on the spine tester, or does the plunger/gauge move? Sorry for my ignorance, I don't have any experience with spine testers.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh so you attach the weight and spin at various points on the shaft to find the variations?
That's right. You rotate the shaft to a different axis, then take your fingers off. The plunger on the dial indicator moves up or down according to how much the weight makes the shaft flex along each axis you check, and that makes the needle on the dial move. Read the dial to get the measurment. If the shaft's spine was perfectly consistent the indicator would read exactly the same at each axis. I haven't checked any carbon arrows in a long time but, 5-6 years ago I saw variations up to .035" in spine on the same shaft on medium grade carbons from several different companies. Hopefully they've improved somewhat since then.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Art!!! How the hell are ya??? Good to "see" ya!
Old 02-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Hi, Jeff.
Since I got my spine checker that is what I have been doing.

Nice to see you, and your knowledge,in these threads again.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

Those segments are actually from Bowhunters magazine Tv -- I love that show -- very good info
Old 02-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JeffB

Art!!! How the hell are ya??? Good to "see" ya!
x2...

Look what the cat drug in...