HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   New Arrows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/285839-new-arrows.html)

ZachCL 02-09-2009 09:11 AM

New Arrows

Well I am in the market for some new arrows. Nothing at all against the ones I am shooting now, in fact I love em , but I want something a little lighter and faster for doing a little bit of 3-D maybe. Here is my setup yall give me some suggestions
Mathews DXT set at 60 lbs for the offseason will bump back up to 70 when deer season gets closer.
29 in. draw,

I am probably going to just buy bare shafts and fletch them myself. any suggestions will be appreciated.

KodiakArcher 02-09-2009 10:22 AM

RE: New Arrows

Are you going to hunt with them as well or are they strictly 3D shafts? If you're just going to target shoot with them you might look at the Easton LiteSpeeds but I wouldn't hunt with them.

ZachCL 02-09-2009 11:37 AM

I tell you what Kodiak, if I could hunt with them that would be great, I would want something that I could get enough KE out of to get pass throughs on a whitetail only though, nothing bigger, anything bigger and I will go back to my old shafts.

KodiakArcher 02-09-2009 11:54 AM

The LiteSpeeds will definitely pass through a whitetail but they aren't going to survive the impact with the ground on the other side. They're pretty thin walled. If I were going to buy myself a new 3D shaft today I'd be looking hard at the CX LineJammer or Easton Fatboy but I don't take speed into as much consideration as most, which is why I said the LiteSpeed in answer to your wanting a faster arrow. If you want one shaft to do it all go to the A/C/C.

mfd1027 02-09-2009 01:46 PM

I was kind of in the same boat as you wanting to try some lighter arrows just to pick up some speed in case I decided to join the 3D league this year. I wound up picking up a half doz. Victory V-Force HV's on ebay for a great price. I've just been goofing around with em with different fletchings, tips, etc. The 400's weigh 6.1 GPI. So far so good. Don't know if will hunt with em or not.

Dan

MeanV2 02-09-2009 03:53 PM

My first choice would be CX regular Maximas. Another arrow to look at is Carbon Tech Cheetahs

Dan

MeanV2 02-09-2009 03:55 PM

ORIGINAL: mfd1027

I was kind of in the same boat as you wanting to try some lighter arrows just to pick up some speed in case I decided to join the 3D league this year. I wound up picking up a half doz. Victory V-Force HV's on ebay for a great price. I've just been goofing around with em with different fletchings, tips, etc. The 400's weigh 6.1 GPI. So far so good. Don't know if will hunt with em or not.

Dan
While the 400's would be fine for 60# they are too limber for a 70# single cam bow.

Dan

mfd1027 02-09-2009 04:09 PM

Yep, the 400's would be no good for a 70 lb's but I thought he had turned it down to 60 lbs. for the off season and some target shooting. Just what I did with my Ally. BTW- at 61 lbs.-323 gr. finished arrow-28.5" draw I've been averaging rt. at 310 fps. Kind of fun to just mess around with stuff.

Dan

ZachCL 02-10-2009 06:43 PM

Thanks mfd I sure might look into those. Thanks everyone else for your suggestions.